News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TTI Header mounting question

Started by Bones68charger, May 03, 2007, 05:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bones68charger

I am seriously considering buying some TTI headers. I have a 68 318 Charger with a column shift. My question is...

B&E-body application with column shift will require a modified design Torque Shaft Assembly if the drivers-side stock straight torque shaft rod is mounted below the torsion bar.

Does this apply to my 68?

Thanks in advance

moparguy01

I cant help you on the tech question, since I just run manifolds myself.

But I wonder why you would want to spend 600 bucks for headers for a 318? You really won't make too much more horsepower with it. Not trying to dog you or anything, I just think if you are ever planning on installing a big block into your car that you should hold off on the headers until you install the engine.

Bones68charger

I don't plan on putting in a big block, I don't really care about having 500 hp. I want a hoped up 318 that pushes about 330 hp. Trust me headers are not the only thing I am doing to it. This summer I am putting in a cam, and heads. I already changed the intake carb and put in a new ignition.

I know most people here think I am a tard for doing the work on a 318, but I don't care. I have never planned on having the fastest car around anyway. I like my cruiser with a little nut.

Now spending $600 bucks on headers... yeah I might be a tard for that, but I want to get good ones the first time, and I am willing to spend the money the first time. 

moparguy01

theres nothing wrong with building a 318, i just wanted to make sure you werent going to try to swap engines out at a later date first. No offense intended my friend. The thing is I feel exhaust manifolds are almost as good, and for a daily driver headers really arent the best bet. they capture the starter so its a pain in the butt to change the starters, some cars you actually have to remove the engine to get to it.

Bones68charger

My Charger is not a daily just a toy. Sounds like I might want to change the starter before I put on headers. Might as well its 40 years old and I would rather do it now then later.

moparguy01

If your wanting headers just go ahead and buy a mini starter now. Any dodge dakota or ram from 93+ with a v8 should have a mini starter that will work for your engine.

jayco91

For what its worth I just put a set of headers on a 69 charger 318 column shift and they dropped right in. They were Hooker competition from Summit. The only mods were the usual drivers side steering linkage and I had to modify the pass side engine to tranny brace. They only cost aroudĀ  $165.00 or so. Just a thought.

Silver R/T

Quote from: moparguy01 on May 03, 2007, 07:13:11 PM
I cant help you on the tech question, since I just run manifolds myself.

But I wonder why you would want to spend 600 bucks for headers for a 318? You really won't make too much more horsepower with it. Not trying to dog you or anything, I just think if you are ever planning on installing a big block into your car that you should hold off on the headers until you install the engine.

I agree, I would swap in at least 383 before I would worry about headers. It's not like you're going to be beating land speed records with that 318 anytime soon.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rolling_Thunder

with a small block i dont find the need to have TTI headers as fit isnt as large of an issue like it is with big blocks...     hedman or hookers would do you fine.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Bones68charger

I don't have the equipment to swap out my small block and I really don't feel like changing out everything. I just want a nice little cruiser with a little bit of power.  I don't really care if I have 400 plus hp or not. I know most of you guys are like what... who wants to keep their 318....well I do......

BTW I think I am going to keep my manifolds at least for right now... in the future headers will be going on. Too many things I have to do first!

Chryco Psycho

Send TTi an Email , they can tell you what you need top fit the headers
The TTi do not hang low & have the steering center link go through the header , which is better than any other design I have found os far

Joshs68

Hey Bones. good to see more Nebraska people on here, I have a set of hedders that came off my 318 powered (NOT ANY MORE!!!!) charger, they are not tti's but they are a lot less $$$ lemme know . Josh in Lincoln