News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

thinking of nitrous.... READ!

Started by Rolling_Thunder, May 16, 2007, 02:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Well...     for a reason I am thinking of adding some giggle juice to my engine combo...      simply for a one time use thing...      why you ask ?   because some one thinks his car is better than mine simply because he has $90,000+ into his 69 charger....       So i have until the end of summer to finish my car...    then here comes the fun.     We are doing an "all around car test"    we will drive to the track....     best of 3 down the strip...     then drive over to Willow Springs and do some laps...     then drive home...     calculating MPG.

I figure I will take the road corse with ease...     as well as the MPG...       the drag strip is where i am worried....     

His Car: 1969 Dodge Charger -
496" stroker (pretty serious  531hp)
727 automatic  (nothing special)
8 3/4 rear with a 3.55 SG (narrowed 2" total) 
235/60/15 BFG Radial T/A 
345/55/15 Drag Radials...    (mini-tubbed)
"circle track" leaf springs
stock small block torsion bars
KYB shocks front
Stock front sway bar
stock front suspension
subframe connectors
Stock front disc brakes
stock rear drums (big drums)
Hydroboost

My Car: 1968 Dodge Charger
446" (EFI no known numbers but relatively mild with iron heads)
Tremec 5-speed manual (3.27 1st gear  .68OD)
8 3/4" Rear with 3.55 SG
305/45/18 nitto drag radials (if they fit)  if not then 285/40/18 nitto 555's
XHD leaf springs
.96" torsion bars
KYB shocks all around
1 3/8" front sway bar
1" rear sway bar
boxed lower control arms
Subframe connectors
tubular upper control arms
XV stiffening kit (will be installed by then)
SSBC front discs
SSBC rear discs
Hydroboost

So - i am worried that if the 305/45/18's dont fit in a stock wheelwell...    i will be running 285/40/18's...     model 555...    not even a drag radial...     so this is where my nitrous idea comes in...      any of you masters outthere have any opinions ?
my worry comes in with my lack of knowing the HP my engine is putting out...   but lets just say it puts out a dismal 400HP...    my engine combo is a 8.5 compression piston with a 915 head (was told this makes roughtly 9.5:1)...    larger valves and hardened seats...     Edebrock Performer RPM cam...    I will not have the stroker done in time to do this challenge...   so this is what i have to work with....       This is a very similar engine combo I built for Chris Jacobs' GTX and he made 444hp   he however ran a six pack

So...     nitrous or is there another way to "cheat" ?    I know  i will win the event overall but i NEED to beat him in EVERYTHING just to make sure he realizes he should keep his mouth shut and not criticize my car building ability.     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BrianShaughnessy

My guess is he owns the drags,  you got the upper hand in the roundy round stuff.

What happened with the 512?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Rolling_Thunder

LONG story...     turns out my muchine shop decided not to check the block for cracks (but charged me for it)....     

I know he owns the drags...     but i cant loose to this guy...    so do you have any pointers of suggestions ?

BrianShaughnessy

Find traction for you and hope he has too much traction at the drags.

I don't think those 18s are gonna be your friend but I'm hoping I'm  wrong.      Practice your takeoffs because it's not as easy to launch a stick consistently (damhik  :P ).   Unhook your front sway bar for some weight transfer but not if there's no wrenching involved between sessions... you'll just have to live with it.   I still like caltracs.

Meanwhile,   maybe he'll hook too hard and the 8 3/4 will spit an axle.

You can win the roundy round and the gas mileage thing and take 2 outta 3 easy.

Silver R/T

your car is set up much better, he'll have much harder time putting all that power through stock 40yr old suspension and stock trans
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mikepmcs

Does he know what he is doing on the launch....does he drag?  Do you drag?  I'm guessing from your posts throughout this site, you know what you are doing so if you can run a few lines before the big day to get some good launch action going, you might have a chance in the straight line.

If your motor can handle it, put some nitrous in for kicks or run some avgas. :icon_smile_big:

good luck.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 16, 2007, 06:53:55 PM
your car is set up much better, he'll have much harder time putting all that power through stock 40yr old suspension and stock trans

R/T's car is setup better for roundy round than straight line.    This is the basis of a good G machine but not necessarily a drag car.

Those 345 / 55 / 15's on the other dude's car will grip a heluva lot better than the 18's.

And saying the other dude's rear suspension is stock when the car is mini-tubbed is kinda silly.   I'd imagine a lot more went into it.   

If it came to choices,  I'd pick caltracs over a 1" rear sway bar.    If you got both well maybe... but that's more weight to carry also.

Rolling_Thunder

The other guy's mini-tub is just that...    a mini tub...    he is using some road racing style leaf springs...    he was adamant he wanted to keep leaf springs...     so it is literally mini-tubbed with relocated springs...    nothing special....

He does not drag...   I have been a couple times....     so i would classify both of us as novice at best...      his 345/55/15 will stick...    but...      I think i can drive a hell of alot better than he can - actually - I know i can.         So maybe I'll have a fighting chance. 

mikes_classics_68

is it just me or does 90K plus seem a little crazy for what was described on this car?  anyways  i have seen people use nitrous on big blocks but i wouldn't use a very large shot my buddy fried his 383 with nitrous on the track.    either way good luck

jg68

You should spend alittle time at the track with another car, even your daily driver, work on reaction times, get a better feel of what you need to do, if you "tree" him :icon_smile_blackeye:, it could be SWEET victory :D

On the juice deal, well your on your own ;), that stuff is just too adicting, you'll keep wanting more untill something goes south ???

Rolling_Thunder

thanks guys...        looks like i'll just run what i have and just prove im a better driver....

$90,000 does seem like alot...   I know about 75% of the work done to the car because i did it at the shop - and I know the bills we gave him ammounted to roughtly $23,000...     then he took it to a competing shop and now he has over $90,000 into it...      :hah:      it does have a $18,000 paint job on it...    but still...    that doesnt mean anything when he already has a huge scratch in the door...      oh well...       

mikepmcs

Does he have pics of the car?  Is he a member, if not, why not?  I'm sure Chris would be interested for data in the registry.

I would like to see an $18k paint job myself.  My 55 has a $13k paint job and it's pretty tight.

pics please from your buddy. :smash: :smash:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BigBlackDodge

Sounds like this guy has more money than sense. :yesnod:

At least you built your car! :coolgleamA: This guys only skill is in writing checks for other peoples work. ::)

Question is, if you beat him in all three areas, is he going to put another 90k in it? :icon_smile_blackeye:

BBD

Rolling_Thunder

Here you go - now i have to be fair...     this car was ROUGH when it started...     alot of the $$$ went into bodywork - but still....       $18K

red72chrgr

While it's a nice car, 18k for the paint is a too pricey for my poor butt. Besides if someone were to scratch it well.......   If ya take him 2 outta 3 rounds, makes you the winner right? Or is he a poor loser?
Nothing personal, just business

dkn1997

I don't know what it is...almost like something's missing...vinyl top?  maybe the shaved door handles or the lack of wheel well trim, I don't know, but it has an inherently unlikeable quality to it.  It's a very nice car, but man does it rub me the wrong way...and I am usually one to love modified cars too.
RECHRGED

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: dkn1997 on May 30, 2007, 06:22:34 PM
I don't know what it is...almost like something's missing...vinyl top?  maybe the shaved door handles or the lack of wheel well trim, I don't know, but it has an inherently unlikeable quality to it.  It's a very nice car, but man does it rub me the wrong way...and I am usually one to love modified cars too.

I know what you mean...      i know your answer too...     too much silver...      no character...      shaved drip rails and door handles/marker lights...            did i hit the nail on the head ?

Poor loser ?  no...     i just really want to drive the point home.

Ghoste

I like it.  I wish he still had the black on the taillight panel but other than that...
(I'm talking about the car, I don't know the owner so no comment there)

jg68

I like it too, at least he didn't put those modern day rims on it ::), i just don't like them, IF it runs as good as it looks, you might be in trouble :D :D

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: jg68 on May 31, 2007, 10:28:42 AM
I like it too, at least he didn't put those modern day rims on it ::), i just don't like them, IF it runs as good as it looks, you might be in trouble :D :D

he is planning on 17/18" wheels and tire combo - - - -       

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 31, 2007, 01:16:01 AM
I know what you mean...      i know your answer too...     too much silver...      no character...      shaved drip rails and door handles/marker lights...            did i hit the nail on the head ?

Yep yo do....

Altough i really like the color that car would look way better with door hanles, drip rails and marker lights still on it....

I never understand people who spend time/money on shaving doors.....one day your remote battery runs flat an you end up in jail because you were caught stealing a car wich is actually your own.... :D :D
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

charger_mike75

$18,000 for a paint job. You'd think they coulda blacked out the tail panel. It's a nice lookin car but I'll hafta agree it kinda rubs me the wrong way as well.

dkn1997

Quote from: jg68 on May 31, 2007, 10:28:42 AM

I actually think that car needs the bigger wheels.  The 15's don't look right to me.  I think maybe it looks to Long.  maybe that what's got me so bunged up.  nothing to break up anything with no driprails, door handles, and no black out.  I love silver, but it's too much silver with not much to offset it.  maybe it's too low in front or not low enough on the rear also.

another thing...no matter how much you modify these, nothing beats a tailstripe!!  Mr angry has shaved driprails, but his wheels are bigger, has a stripe and has just the right stance.
RECHRGED

charger_mike75

That was my point, I prolly didn't make that clear. It needs something to offset all the silver even just the blacked out tailpanel would help. As far as Mr.Angry goes that's just an awsome car PERIOD.

70charger_boy