News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Started by Animal, May 14, 2007, 04:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Animal

Got a 727 built stronger for the strip, so went to swap the old box for the newly built one.

The convertor wouldn't fit the new box , problem with spline , so we took the pump of the old box & fitted it to the new box , after we did this , the convertor slipped in fine.

While installing the new box , we could only turn the prop shaft one way , so we carried on (mistake) & fitted the box regardless.

Started the motor , selected drive, took about 2000 rpm to move the car , selected reverse , took about 3000 rpm to move car , also motor started to drag heavily.

Stopped the motor , pulled car back in garage , took box out to be inspected.

Is there a certain way to remove & refit the front pump & have I damaged the convertor / box?

Car was not driven , only stationary selecting gears.

Thanks for any advice , gotta get this box sorted & back in.

Adam.

John_Kunkel

How did you match the splines by changing only the pump? You must have changed the input shaft also. A mismatch in parts could cause leakage problems, exactly how many parts were changed? What years are you dealing with, old/new?

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Animal

68 charger , had a box built to run @ the strip , when we tried to fit the convertor , woud'nt go in , so we tried another two I had lying around & they would'nt go in , but they went ok on the box we had just taken out.

So my mate said to change the front spline/pump over, to which he did , removing the eight bolts around the front plate/pump , two of them the vent plate (mentioned the plate so you know which part i mean) then pulled the housing out & changed the pump/spline over.

Hope I'm explaining it clearly.

Thanks
Adam.

idahogrumpy

You shouldn't be changing front pumps like that. The transmission build date would have to be the same or at least the same version. Then you are working on a rebuilt transmission and who knows what parts were installed at the re builders. There are at least two differant front clutch support bushings used. They are differant widths. More parts would need to be changed if you have an early to late mismatch.
What was differant about the splines?  Diameter, count?  Was there maybe a burr in one of the splines? Are both transmissions for sure 727's?                                                    Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 14, 2007, 05:49:39 PM

How did you match the splines by changing only the pump? You must have changed the input shaft also. A mismatch in parts could cause leakage problems, exactly how many parts were changed? What years are you dealing with, old/new?

This is exactly what I was wondering.   :popcrn:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Animal

Changed the front pumps , turns out the pumps are different ,so shagged one of the clutches.

Took it back to the guy who rebuilt it , problem was with the engagement of the pump to vertor , so the guy stripped the box , replaced some damaged parts , no charge.

What a relief & he did it while I waited, took a couple of hours, what a guy.

I've now seen the internals of 727. ;D

Thanks guys

Adam.