News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I install this engine in my car?

Started by Pete68, May 14, 2007, 08:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete68

Hi,

I have a '68 charger with a 318 that I have been working on restoring for the past couple years.

Yesterday I found a '73 Winnebago motorhome with a good running 440. I currently have the 318 out of my charger and am wondering if I should replace it with the 440.

The water pump on the motorhome is mounted much higher than on a car engine. What would it take to make this engine work in my car? Can I just bolt on a different water pump?

Is it a good idea to install this engine in my car, or is it going to be a lot of trouble to get it set up properly?

Thanks for your help,
Pete

67_Dodge_Charger

The oil pan might not work for you, it will need to be a front sump pan.  The block and heads will be fine, motor mounts and k-member will need to be changed, you will need a 727 transmission and and driveline, exhaust manifolds will be restrictive but will work until you find some for your Charger, the water pump housing will need to be changed, and the mounting brackets for you Alternator and power steering (AC if you have it).

The oil dipstick will need to be changed, remember to the correct oil pan for the driverside dipstick.  I believe the intake manifold will have the smog stuff on it so you will want to get one that is correct for your Charger or go aftermarket. 

I would go for it with the engine swap.  It is not much more work since you already have the engine out.  I would check the compression on the 440 and change all of the gaskets (if it had not been rebuilt in the last two years).  It should be a low compression engine with a very mild cam.

Sounds like a lot of fun
Good luck

Robert

deputycrawford

I have actually met people with 6 cylinder Chargers. They have informed me that you only have to change the cross member from the 6 cyl car with an 8 cyl car. Double check one more time and let us all know. I am pretty sure that a 318 member will hold any wedge engine. Only the Hemi member had an extra skid plate on it and a few small other details. Just strip the 440 of its smog stuff, get a "B" body pan and dipstick, and get to work with the install. You wil have other small issues you can work through during the swap, but nothing that can't be explained away here. Do not think of anything else but putting that 440 in there. The car will feel better, be more of a conversation piece and would sell for more if you ever had to off it.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Pete68

Thanks for your replies, very encouraging. I wanted to be sure the swap was possible before picking up the motorhome. I will probably go and pick it up this weekend.

Chryco Psycho

if the water pump is mounted much higher it has ports into the heads directly meaning you need a different set of heads & water pump to use it in a car , this is not a problem , the normal heads will bolt onto the short block