News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Digital timing light

Started by Harlow, May 06, 2007, 04:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

Alright guys, I need to find my total advance. Whats the best bang for my buck as far as some sort of timing light so I can see where I'm at once the timing mark on the pulley goes too far out. And where did you get it.

mikepmcs

Scott,

sears makes a very reasonable dial light.  No need for digital just get the one with the dial on the back for around $60-70.  Or.... your local parts store will carry the actron line and I do believe sears has them as well.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00921023000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1556792685.1178488507@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccjiaddkkmmhkdicefecemldffidfmm.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0093600100004900085&pid=00999438000

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Harlow

Thanks for the help mike. How exactly does the dial timing light work?

mikepmcs

Very self explanatory when you get the light.  You basically dial the back to 36* or whatever and swing the dist to zero(while at full advance rpm's and bingo, you are set.

That is a very crude explanation but it is really that simple

I'll try to find my thread from way back

just disconnect that vac advance(from dist to carb) and plug it and forget about it forever.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

here is a great read.

http://www.sweptline.com/tech/engine2.html

might explain it all for ya. :2thumbs:
still looking for you though.   

v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

crap I can't find it...i'm giving up tonight.  I'll try again tomorrow AM. That above thread should help though.

v/r
Mike

Harlow

Harlow

I've been reading about the dial timing light. One question for you guys. How bad does it affect your initial timing, if at all? My car is pretty tempermental about initial timing (maybe all cars are?).

supserdave

Total timing will be dependent on the initial timing if you set it by moving the distributor. What you need to do is set your initial, (which you have) and then check your total. Hold the car at about 3000-3500 (or when the timing stops increasing), and check the timing. It would also be helpfull if you check it at 500 rpm increments from idle, to map it.

If you have to much total timing when you check, you need to either back off the initial timing, or limit the advance in the distributor. You will probably have to limit the advance in the distributor....

Harlow

Anyone know how much the initial timing will be affect if I use this dial back timing light to set my total?

supserdave

Depends on the curve of your distributor....