News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

six-pack & lokar kickdown

Started by dogbert22, August 31, 2007, 07:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbert22

Gentlemen,
I am working on a six-pack project for my '71 Charger R/T clone. Right now the 440 is running perfectly well on a 770 Holley Street Avenger and eddy manifold with the factory kickdown setup. I have a Lokar kickdown kit & throttle spring return kit for the six-pack setup since it doesn't look like the factory kickdown setup will work. While there are plenty of posts on fitting the Lokar to the tranny and throttle bracket my question is this: How do I hook up the Lokar stud/nut to the center carb on the sixpack? Unlike my 4 bbl with its associated throttle lever brackets/holes, the six-pack carb only has the throttle stud as the only mounting point, no place for the Lokar. How does this hook up to the carb itself? Thanks.
Rick-in-Katy

John_Kunkel

If you want to use the Lokar you will have to fabricate some sort of bracket to provide a below-the-shaft attach point on the throttle lever.

A better way to go would be the Bouchillon cable setup, it will work correctly on the six-pack.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dogbert22

John,
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that the Bouchillon kickdown setup with its "Made for Mopar" design  is a better idea than Lokar's "one-size-fits-all" (or not... for six-packs). The Bouchillon kit has a special throttle lever adapter for the six-pack center carb shown on their website. The alternative, if using the Lokar, is to fab up something yourself. While I can drill/file and cut with abandon, the Bouchillon setup simply looks better. After having spent a few days going over the archives on Mopar Lokar setups, another thing, besides the vague installation instructions, is the possible mismatch in travel/movement between the carb lever and the tranny lever when their kickdown cable is actuated. This can, apparently, lead to undesirable shift points that require more fiddling and trial-and-error to dial in. While there are people who have not had any problems using the Lokar setup, I couldn't find any specific six-pack references one way or the other. Bottom line is that the Lokar goes back to e-bay and the Bouchillon kit will be on order.
Rick-in-Katy

Ghoste

Shouldn't be any more mismatch in movement than Mopars one piece kickdowns.  ;)