News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tranny install

Started by tin_soldier, September 01, 2005, 09:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tin_soldier

Hey all,

I am installing my Flex plate ton the mototr but i was told that the bolts need to be torqued down to a certian LBS.  Do any of ya know wheere I can find that info. or do you know that info yourself??   ::)

Any help would be much appericated.  :icon_smile_cool:

Thanks   :icon_smile:

RD

i think its 55 or 65 lbs, but i am not totally sure.  Can check later on tonight if no one comes up with that answer sooner.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

derailed

cudaken

50 Foot Pounds small block
55 Foot Pounds big block

Just pulled the dealer manual from 1971.

Cuda Ken
I am back

tin_soldier

SpudRacer

Ask and ye shall receive... what a wonderful bunch of guys (gals??)
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

tin_soldier

Thanks again guyss.  I put on the plate and started to put up th tranny and saw that there are 4 bolts that bolt to the fly wheel as well.  I am missing hose bolts any idea where i can find them??

Also any certain lbs for them too??   ???

thanks

RD

Quote from: tin_solider on September 03, 2005, 08:39:07 PM
Thanks again guyss.   I put on the plate and started to put up th tranny and saw that there are 4 bolts that bolt to the fly wheel as well.   I am missing hose bolts any idea where i can find them??

Also any certain lbs for them too??     ???

thanks

flywheel?   i assume you meant flexplate hehe.   anyways those bolts are the torque conv to flexplate bolts.   I have in the past only tightened those ratchet tight, then 1/4 turn after that with a grunt! hehe.   That is probably around 25-35lbs.   Never had them go loose on me.

as far as finding them, check with your local dodge dealer MECHANICS.  They usually have some of those lying around due to the fact they are the same bolts for all engine/auto trans combos.  If not, the parts department, or even junkyard.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

Quote from: tin_solider on September 03, 2005, 08:39:07 PM
Thanks again guyss.   I put on the plate and started to put up th tranny and saw that there are 4 bolts that bolt to the fly wheel as well.   I am missing hose bolts any idea where i can find them??

Also any certain lbs for them too??     ???

thanks

The converter to flexplate bolts have a shallow head and cannot be replaced with a conventional hardware store bolt. ARP makes hardware specificly for this application as does Mopar Performance. I strongly suggest you locktite these bolts to keep them from backing out.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

:iagree:  Absolutely.......  Too long a bolt and you will open up your converter like a can of tuna..

Locktite on fresh clean threads.. Check the flex plate to converter holes and make sure they have ROUND holes. Not elongated.. Check for cracks also...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

And I believe you'll find the torque requirement for those bolts is 270 INCH lbs.  And absolutely they must be loctited.

tin_soldier

Called local Dodge dealer and some young punk came onand said "no item # I can not help you".  Then I called a another one and the guy found off the computer in "THE BOOK".  He order it and will be there for me Tuesday morning.  Bolts are 6.00 each.  But well worth it.

Thanks for the help again guys   :icon_smile_big:

cudaken

Yep 270 Inch pounds is correct. Not sure what that is in foot pounds. We cheat, use a small 3/4 impact and give them hell. Never had one back out or break one.

One thing I have found, not all part's people are good.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

Sadly, nowadays, many parts people are not good.  If you do have a good one, treat him well and if you a great one, put him on your Christmas list.