News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grill Trim Group Buy Follow Up

Started by Troy, April 16, 2007, 11:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I have been informed by Jason at Gunslinger that all orders have been shipped and should have been received by now. He reported that 27 sets (full or partial) were sold. I am looking for any feedback that you guys have on the parts or the group buy process. What do you think? Do they fit? Are they "correct"? Was the price a great deal, reasonable, too high? Are you happy with the transaction? As always, pics are welcome and encouraged.

Just in case, if there were any issues with your order (hopefully not!), be sure you've contacted Gunslinger to get them resolved *first* before you post any accusations/rants/complaints here. I shouldn't have to say that but... this site is littered with "Oops!" type posts after a situation is resolved by simple communication.

Thanks,
Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

v21hemicharger

I recieved mine last week.  The grill gets blasted and painted this week.  I only wish they had the hardware.  I do have the original stuff, but have to clean it all up.  I'm putting a twist on my grille, painting the silver body color (Pepper grey).  Also picked up some 68 pieces that go behind the doors.  I'll try to post pics when complete.  Price was Ok but $250 would have been nicer.  You would have at least $2000 in a new reproduction grill if you had to start over, but at least its out there now.  Mike

Troy

Thanks for the input!

You can buy the hardware from R/T specialties the last time I checked. It is difficult for some vendors to carry everything for a package deal because they don't make all the pieces and, inevitably, people have some parts they want to reuse so inventory gets out of whack. I would love to be able to purchase a "kit" from one place instead of going through six different vendors (each with a shipping charge).

As for the price, Jason started working on the corner pieces well over two years ago and they have proven to be very difficult to get right. I'd hate to see how many hours of design, development, and prototyping he's put into these. I have a rough idea of how much the tooling cost and I'd have probably bailed on the project as soon as I saw that estimate. Even the top and bottom center pieces for the '68 grills took 4 or 5 revisions because of the small crease in the middle. The good news is that Jason is a perfectionist so at least these should be right. I hate spending a bunch of money for reproduction parts only to find they are about 80% correct.

In the past the only real option was to pay ridiculous amounts for NOS or to have the originals refinished (which wasn't always cheaper or better looking). For comparison, two years ago it would cost about $5,000-7,000 to replace a '69 grill which is why we even have reproduction parts now. I remember NOS '69 'I' pieces alone going for well over $1,000 before Jason started making them. Same with the vinyl top checkmark trim going for over $700 for NOS and $100+ for even pitted ones.

I am thankful for the parts becoming available but I've had to seriously modify my budget. That's why we try to do these group buys and search for discounts to help everyone out (and to show vendors there's a market and encourage them to make more stuff). Be sure to post some pics when you get yours together!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: v21hemicharger on April 17, 2007, 07:53:30 AM
I recieved mine last week.  The grill gets blasted and painted this week.  I only wish they had the hardware.  I do have the original stuff, but have to clean it all up.  I'm putting a twist on my grille, painting the silver body color (Pepper grey).  Also picked up some 68 pieces that go behind the doors.  I'll try to post pics when complete.  Price was Ok but $250 would have been nicer.  You would have at least $2000 in a new reproduction grill if you had to start over, but at least its out there now.  Mike
That color combo sounds pretty nice, I'm looking forward to seeing your finished grille. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

SnoPro440

I received my full 68 set last week and I think they look great.  The price was ok and Jason was great to do business with.  I will be ordering a pistol grip from him in a month or two.  Once my Charger is put back together, I will post some pics of the trim installed.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU