News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

no reply in question&answer so I am asking here... 3rd gen Rallye taillights

Started by dustyswinger, January 27, 2007, 11:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyswinger

I found a set and a half of them.  The set is in rough shape, a cracked lense, the pigtales are cut and the sockets are in bad shape. It looks as though they haven't been apart since the 83 plate were good on the car. The 1/2 is a right side that is either N.O.S. or taken off when the car was new. the good one has a imperfection on the top in the corner. The guy is asking $600 for all three and he wont split them up. I think he is out of range on his price. I saw on the board somewhere awile ago someone bought a NOS set, did anyone remember how much he paid? Can you replace the sockets? I am thinking that if I try to take the housings and lenses apart the screws will probably strip or break. Any opinions on this deal would be appreciated. 

twilt

nakita7

jasonfromIKILLYA

i'd check junkyards before you buy that.  I bought an entire car for $150 from one a few years back.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

twilt

Chances of find a set of Rallye tail lights in a junkyard is pretty slim. Slim enough to make trying not worth the effort.  A NOS unit (one side) is worth $500 all day long.  :yesnod: :yesnod: A junk set is worth $200 all day long.  So, $600 for 1 NOS unit, and a pair in need of work is not out of line by any means. I wouldnt worry to much about replacing a bulb socket or two. Thats easy stuff. The housings are metal so replacing a socket can be done easily enough. Trying to replace a socket on a plastic housing such as a 73-74 would be much more difficult.  The value of a used set is still  more relative to the condition of the lenses. The good news is that repros are available. The bad news is that they will set you back $400.

I needed some $$ and sold 2 sets recently. 1 fairly nice set ( excellent housings and bezels) with 1 crack in lense (not very noticable) lenses a little faded for $425, other set was in lousy condition. 1 damaged bezel, both lenses extensively damaged and cracked, at least 1/2 of the sockets in need of replacement for $225.   

hotrod98

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on January 28, 2007, 11:33:54 AM
i'd check junkyards before you buy that. I bought an entire car for $150 from one a few years back.

I haven't seen a set of Rallye taillights in a salvage yard in 20 years. Seriously. I've seen lots of 71-74 taillights, but not Rallye's.
Let's see some pics of this 71 charger that you bought for $150. I've seen NOS sets go for $1200 and up.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Charger1973

I was lucky enough to score a set for $100 last year.  One of the lenses is broken, but for that price I really didnt care.  Whenever I see them on ebay it seems like they usually go $500-$700 for a decent set. 

jasonfromIKILLYA

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 28, 2007, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on January 28, 2007, 11:33:54 AM
i'd check junkyards before you buy that. I bought an entire car for $150 from one a few years back.

I haven't seen a set of Rallye taillights in a salvage yard in 20 years. Seriously. I've seen lots of 71-74 taillights, but not Rallye's.
Let's see some pics of this 71 charger that you bought for $150. I've seen NOS sets go for $1200 and up.

where did he say rallye taillights?  he said 3rd gen taillights. 
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

andy74

dude, it says RALLYE in the header of the post-and i for one feel that that is a good price considering things now days

jasonfromIKILLYA

440mag

440mag

Charger1973

Quote from: 440mag on January 29, 2007, 11:01:45 PM
Who is repoping the rallye lights?

pgclassic.com

They are making the lenses and they run $375 a pair.  You still need original housings and bezels to put them in though. 

hemi-hampton

Yeah, I seen PGclassics sell these. This subject Interest me as I picked up a set of Louvered Tailight Covers for the Rally but did not know the Lenses were different. Now I need lenses. Anybody know what a set of these louvered covers should have cost me? LEON.

dustyswinger

Well, I broke down and bought them. The set wasn't as bad as they seemed. I took them apart and the lense is broken in a place where they aren't as noticeable as I thought. The screws all came out and the bolts where they mount to the bumper came out as well. Over all they are in decent shape. The nos one is very nice and I can't seem to find the imperfection in the bezel. I really need the right bezel and a lens for my other set so I might make mine nicer and sell the rest off. Or save them for my other charger and sell the NOS one. Craig

Charger1973

Im still in need of a lens too.  If you end up buying a new pair and have a spare lens let me know, maybe we could work a deal.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: dustyswinger on January 27, 2007, 11:31:44 PM
I found a set and a half of them.  The set is in rough shape, a cracked lense, the pigtales are cut and the sockets are in bad shape. It looks as though they haven't been apart since the 83 plate were good on the car. The 1/2 is a right side that is either N.O.S. or taken off when the car was new. the good one has a imperfection on the top in the corner. The guy is asking $600 for all three and he wont split them up. I think he is out of range on his price. I saw on the board somewhere awile ago someone bought a NOS set, did anyone remember how much he paid? Can you replace the sockets? I am thinking that if I try to take the housings and lenses apart the screws will probably strip or break. Any opinions on this deal would be appreciated. 

I could probably get those made pretty reasonably by my lens guy here in Australia, but unfortunately good examples are needed to make a mould.

They never sold them down here. I'm visitng the States this year, and I plan to chase up some 3rd Gen lenses to see what he can do with reproducing them when I come home. He made the side marker lenses for my 71 Bee. They look great.

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

74-StreetMachine

Speakin of Rallye taillights, Mine are missing several screws,does anyone make them? Does anyone have some spares they are willing to sell?
Watch me turn beer into pee for $5.

Charger1973

Quote from: 74-StreetMachine on April 18, 2007, 08:36:13 AM
Speakin of Rallye taillights, Mine are missing several screws,does anyone make them? Does anyone have some spares they are willing to sell?

That is a good question.  I need them too.  I thought maybe a hardware store would h ave something I could make work if nothing else, but I havent really looked for them yet.  Anyone know?   ??? :scratchchin:

CDN72SE

Quote from: 74-StreetMachine on April 18, 2007, 08:36:13 AM
Apparently A1kits on eBay sells them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Charger-RT-Dodge-Deluxe-Exterior-Screw-Kit-1351A_W0QQitemZ140107293492QQihZ004QQcategoryZ34204QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Application :  1971 Dodge Charger R/T

Includes the fasteners for the items listed below:

License Light Mounting...(2 screws)
Parking Light Lens ... (4 screws)
Tail Light Lens ... (16 screws)
Outside Mirror , Dual  ..(4 screws)
License Light Cover , Lower ..(2 screws)
License Light Lens ..(2 screws)
License Light Cover , Upper ..(2 screws)
Wheel Well Moulding Screws ... (30 screws)

1972 Charger SE

CharlieCharger

By the time I get around to buying them for my S.E they will all be gone Lol   :icon_smile_sad:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

red72chrgr

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on April 18, 2007, 01:54:29 AM

I could probably get those made pretty reasonably by my lens guy here in Australia, but unfortunately good examples are needed to make a mould.

They never sold them down here. I'm visitng the States this year, and I plan to chase up some 3rd Gen lenses to see what he can do with reproducing them when I come home. He made the side marker lenses for my 71 Bee. They look great.

Peter
Sydney, Australia.

Peter, seems the 71/72 tailight lenses are hard to find in real good shape. Maybe your friend could look into making repros of these as well as other lenses. Might be a good little business to get into.  :scratchchin:
Nothing personal, just business

71 Bee Man

Quote from: red72chrgr on April 18, 2007, 02:50:25 PM
Quote from: 71 Bee Man on April 18, 2007, 01:54:29 AM

Peter
Sydney, Australia.

Peter, seems the 71/72 tailight lenses are hard to find in real good shape. Maybe your friend could look into making repros of these as well as other lenses. Might be a good little business to get into.  :scratchchin:

Ummmm....he already does make the 71 lenses front and rear. In fact, every lens on my 71 Charger is now a repro. I guess I could look into the postage side of things to the States and see how it goes. He actually made the lenses up of my old ones - the sidemarker lenses on my car were pretty faded with tiny cracks but he managed to clean them up and make great looking units. Mine is the only 71 Charger he can get his hands on.

I've thought of getting some of the R/T and 500 lenses and seeing what he could do.

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

dustyswinger

I just went to the hardware store for screws for my first set. I don't know what thread pitch they were but I just took an old one in and matched it up.They have black phillips heads too. Craig

pettyfan43

I have those for my 73 (I got lucky and bought a WHOLE rear bumper assembly about 10 years ago for 175 bucks!) They are getting really expensive now.