News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

flapper in exaust

Started by roger01, September 02, 2005, 06:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger01

is there anything i can do to shut this thing up it rattles like crazy.....what is it for anyways ?....thanks

8WHEELER

They are made to keep hot air from going out of the manifold until the manifold reaches
a certain temperature to help the engine run better when cold. There is a temp spring on
the side of the manifold that will open the flapper valve at a certain temperature.
You can cut   it off if you don't care about being stock and weld it up. I have in the past
as a temp fix put a small fuel line clamp around the outside end and made sure it was clamped
in the open position.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

roger01

would the open position be against the tension of the spring

8WHEELER

Only when the engine is cold, after the engine warms up it will be in the open position anyway.

Dan

roger01

is there a way of quietening it without clamping it open?

Chryco Psycho

not really , you need ti open to let the exhaust out & if it can move it will rattle

cudaken

If you can find them and good luck, new bushing and spring. My self, ran a tap in to each side, then srewed in a short bolt. No more rattel, and no more restriction on the right side.

Cuda Ken
I am back

calchargerRT

Is this the round piece of metal that came flying out of my tail pipe one day? I had no idea what it was! Will me car run differetly without it?

Ian

8WHEELER

Quote from: calchargerRT on October 02, 2005, 08:13:27 PM
Is this the round piece of metal that came flying out of my tail pipe one day? I had no idea what it was! Will me car run differetly without it?

Ian

Well its hard to believe that round valve could make it all the way out your tail pipe, but
if it is gone and not making any noise or leaking exhaust in that area you will be just fine.

Dan

calchargerRT

it was crazy all of a sudden I heard this loud rattling and I started looking around to see what was going on and I hear it clink out on cement behind car. It was just a thin piece of round metal, all coverd in exhaust soot and rusty. Sounds like must be it.

Ian