News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Injection?

Started by Arkgl01, March 13, 2007, 09:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aifilaw

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 24, 2007, 03:19:10 AM
Hughes rockers , Not really my choice, the customer ordered them , then I had to have custom width billet hold down blocks made to position the rockers correctly , at this point the pushrod would not clear the head so the heads had to be removed & clearanced to get pushrods in / through , then had to make custom length pushrods with different length for intake & exhaust

So what are the options to obtain the same results without the pushrod and valvetrain issues that the edelbrock victors seem to br presenting, will the edelbrock FI manifold mate up to an INDY EZ, or the traditional Eddies?

In other words neil, if you were going to do this, better/cheaper, what route would you take?
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

kamkuda

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 26, 2007, 12:02:56 AM
I am using ford style injectors...      AKA  Bosch style...        throttle bodies...     most Ford TBs are verticle mounted and can not be used on a 4bbl style intake without an adapter elbow...       so a universal 4bbl TB is easier to set up and maintains the semi old-school look.
That Ford TB makes for a nice entry for a Procharger set-up :icon_smile_wink:

Chryco Psycho

Edlebrock designed the heads using the not available Mopar offset rockers ... good move , someone should have checked with Mopar if they ever planned to make 1 more set before doing this

There are things I like about the Victor head , it has the heart shaped chambers & they are 76 cc range to compensate for the heat loss to alum , they do not need spacer to use std 440 intakes even with the raised ports , there is enough meat to port ot max wedge size to increase flow potential & are supposed to flow with the 440 -1 heads when ported to MW size

Down side the rockers & pushrods are a pain to fit & the valley Tray Made by Edlebrick for these heads do not have any of the 4 bolt holes on each side drilled to line up with each other

we will fire this engine with a 950 HP carb & get it broken & dialed in Before installing the EFI so we can get a vacuum measuremnet to see if a map sensor will work or if we have to go to a mass air system [ford] hopefully we can fire it up next week , I am not sure if it will be dynoed before & after the EFI , I want to to see what gains or losses are realized going to EFI , My customer may or may not want to do this . The problem with The Ford system is clearance , the get a marginally big 92 mm T body on we need a 90* adapter which is 6" tall , we have 4" to the hood so this would require a scoop which we are trying to avoid at this point , Accufab has a 1200 cfm 4 bbl throttle plate that is 1 3/4" thick so we are going that route

The EFI intake is the Victor so yes it will bolt onto any Std 440 head but cannot be ported out to MW size Although I think Edle was trying  to as the ports on the left side are all 1/4 taller than where they need to be ... typical eddy quality ...not  ... nice core shift

I am assembling a 451 with EZ heads shortly so we will see how they compare to the Victors for install problems   

Ron I read the article in MM these comic books pizz me off they make the bolt on LOOK easy & do not even mention the problems , there is 1 pic looking at the combustion chamber of the head & you can clearly see a notch in the deck of the head for pushrod clearance , these notches Do Not exist as cast so they obviously had to do the same clearancing that I had to do to get the pushrod past the head ... no Eddy sponsorship $$ for that mag ........ yeah right probably Eddy paid dearly to have the article in the mag & to make sure the Issues are overlooked so they can sell a ton more of their junk ... if eddy woudl just do Some R&D Before pumping this stuff out I would not be slamming their stuff all the time , how is a driveway weekend hot rodder supposed to "bolt" this stuff on , the Custom made CNC rocker holddowns & spacers cost us $250 alone not to mention custom building pushrods & the cost of the "correct offset " Hughes rockers which do line up with the valve & pushrod hole reasonably well with the custom hold downs in place , the Hughes hold downs are off by 1/4 "

Rolling_Thunder

Chryco...       if the MAP sensor wont work...     and you need to go the MAF route...    try calling MassFloEFI...    they make a Mass air flow sensor that mounts on top of a 4bbl throttle body, that might be the way around using the 90* elbow and necessitating a hood scoop     ;)
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

Thanks
the other route is a sealed air cleaner with a snorkle to mount a mass air flow

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 27, 2007, 02:21:01 AM
Ron I read the article in MM these comic books pizz me off they make the bolt on LOOK easy & do not even mention the problems , there is 1 pic looking at the combustion chamber of the head & you can clearly see a notch in the deck of the head for pushrod clearance , these notches Do Not exist as cast so they obviously had to do the same clearancing that I had to do to get the pushrod past the head ... no Eddy sponsorship $$ for that mag ........ yeah right probably Eddy paid dearly to have the article in the mag & to make sure the Issues are overlooked so they can sell a ton more of their junk ... if eddy woudl just do Some R&D Before pumping this stuff out I would not be slamming their stuff all the time , how is a driveway weekend hot rodder supposed to "bolt" this stuff on , the Custom made CNC rocker holddowns & spacers cost us $250 alone not to mention custom building pushrods & the cost of the "correct offset " Hughes rockers which do line up with the valve & pushrod hole reasonably well with the custom hold downs in place , the Hughes hold downs are off by 1/4 "

Neil, i agree with your comments on the MM articles....there is lots of missing information. Edelbrock should have shipped some heads to the various rocker arm manufacturers before releasing the new head. Sounds like Hughes dropped the ball too on this deal. Some interesting reading on valvetrain geometry issues with the Victors :

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Racer&Number=3365174&page=0&fpart=1

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

well we beat this one so it will be running shortly

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 27, 2007, 11:17:42 PM
well we beat this one so it will be running shortly

:2thumbs: Is it going on the pump ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

rob9593

I would talk to Chuck at Best Machine.......I know he has worked with the 'Big Stuff' systems..I'm not so sre the eddy systems are all that great depending on the level of performance you're trying to achieve, or if you just want the convenience of fuel injection.... The 'Big Stuff' stuff aint cheap, but it sure looks nice

aifilaw

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 27, 2007, 11:31:24 PM
what do you mean ??

he probably means will it run on pump gas?

personally I'd like to hear some numbers after you get it off the dyno and tuned, to say nothing of mpg
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Chryco Psycho

I am not even considering an eddy EFI system , just using the intake , the rest will not have the eddy name anywhere near ti

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 27, 2007, 11:31:24 PM
what do you mean ??

Pump = Dyno.....sorry for the slang.  :P

Ron