News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cooling issue

Started by koshe, March 29, 2007, 12:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koshe

I have a 440, not built other than a mild cam. I have replaced the thermostat, replaced the coolant. It has a 5 year old 3 core radiator that still looks great. It just is running very hot. Its about 50 degrees today, and it still runs about 245 degrees or so. It cools off some on the highway.
Should I look at a different radiator???? It appears to be a stock radiator style.

aifilaw

possible your water pump might be not functioning properly, also possible lines/holes could be pinched/clogged.

It's also entirely possible your sensor or gauge might be defective...I would check those first.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

RECHRGD

If it only cools off a little on the highway it shouldn't be a fan or shroud problem.  Check your timing, check for good water flow through the stat, and be sure nothing is blocking the air flow.  Even if the radiator looks good, it may not be.    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Animal

Had this problem when I fitted the new 440, alu rad was also replaced @ the same time.

Had a second freshley built engine in there with overheating issues, did everything,stat, fans, extension fan pulley.........................was running 240* on the motorway.

As a last resort , I took the rad off & flushed it with spirits of salts, the muck that came out was unbelieveable,bearing in mind this rad had NEVER been run on a used engine.

Turns out the blocks were not flushed on the new 440s.

Motor now runs 180* all day long.

Chryco Psycho

timing could be reatarded to far too , you want 36-38* TOTAL ABOVE 2500 RPM 

sfbullittcharger

I had the same problem at one time with my newly rebuilt 440 5 years ago. Tried everything. Everything was new. I wanted to keep everything as stock as possible and the last thing I had replaced was my distributor. I was an original distributor and even though I hated to give it up, I finally went with a Mopar Performance stock replacemant HEI distributor from Summit Racing. I replace it because I got tired of burning my points, not for the sake of running cooler. But man! what a difference. It went from 220 deg to 180 deg temperature.
Also sometimes even though your gauges indicate it running hot, the actual temperature is lower that what you see on some of the original stock gauges. They do get old and people never have them rebuilt.
The dist is under $100.00 and it was a cooling relief for me. I can pretty much guess that its what going on with yours/ Good luck.
sfbullittcharger :coolgleamA:   

Silver R/T

id get laser thermometer and shoot it at engine see how hot it gets, maybe malfunctioning gauge.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722