News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much is a 489 case 3:91 used suregrip worth?

Started by bmoparmofo, March 24, 2007, 01:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmoparmofo

Hi, What do you think a 489 case 3:91 used suregrip is worth? thinking of getting one for my 69 charger, seem like a good gear to anyone that has one? It will be running with a 383/727 combo, any advice is appreciated, thanks!
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

mikepmcs

You can mostly get one on ebay in the 450-600 range.  A lot of people are refurbishing them now and getting big bucks for them.  Nothing wrong with a 741 or 742 case if you aren't beating the car daily.  I know opinions vary, but I'm about to replace my just installed 3.23 SG with a 3.91 in a 741 case.  Got both of them off ebay and the total cost for both was just over $500(different sellers)  Be patient and you will score a deal, in the meantime look for other Mopar products that might have come with this rear selection other than our beloved Charger and the other heavy hitters. 

Check out the articles listed on these site's for other possibilities, you just might find one local in a van or truck.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/axle.html

http://www.mopar1.us/tech.html

Good luck.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bmoparmofo

AKcharger

Remember it may not be good! If it's a low gear ratio sure grup you can rest assured it's been abused for 30+ years, it might need a rebuild, that's what happened to me but I only paid $200 for it...just somthing to consider

bmoparmofo

The guy says it turns over fine but it should be checked, I've never really worked on one of these, so I'm fairly clueless, I know there is bearings etc.., it will cost me a little over 500 to have it at my door, not sure what a rebuild costs, what do  you think? ???

mikepmcs

fair, but you can get one cheaper if you are patient.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?