News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 charger door handles

Started by rudyjrusa, March 06, 2007, 07:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudyjrusa

hi - how do i remove the outside door handles on a 1974 charger??  it is hard too see anything within door.  i tried putting hand in there but cannot see too much.  would like to replace them with some new ones.  thanks for any info.

Nacho-RT74

handle has studs on assembly and is attached to door with 2 7/16" nuts on back... you need to remove rod link to latch too
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rudyjrusa

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 06, 2007, 10:31:30 AM
handle has studs on assembly and is attached to door with 2 7/16" nuts on back... you need to remove rod link to latch too

thanks for the information - it is kind of hard too see the door handle nuts - do i need to take the glass out to get to them??

Nacho-RT74

Not really, but yes is not easy. Not really hard, but need some patiente to get them. Of course is easier with glass removed, but instead that, try to arrive to nuts with glass on top. Don't try too see them, try more to TOUCH them
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RogerDodger

If you are replacing them with repops off ebay then be prepared for some modification. I think one manufacturer makes them for many vendors. I had to drill out the holes lower on the door and shim the new handle out with washers to make them work. I almost sent them back. I scratched my paint in 2 places before I got it where it works and I'm still not 100% happy about it. I still have the drivers side to do and I don't know if I will do it or not. It sounded good when I stumbled across them on ebay. I don't want to scare you away from it just proceed with caution and patience.

chgr500

Quote from: RogerDodger on March 09, 2007, 03:11:30 PM
If you are replacing them with repops off ebay then be prepared for some modification. I think one manufacturer makes them for many vendors. I had to drill out the holes lower on the door and shim the new handle out with washers to make them work. I almost sent them back. I scratched my paint in 2 places before I got it where it works and I'm still not 100% happy about it. I still have the drivers side to do and I don't know if I will do it or not. It sounded good when I stumbled across them on ebay. I don't want to scare you away from it just proceed with caution and patience.

eBay made in China door handles bite.....bought a set a while back for I think $26 back then....installed one with scratching the paint on the first pull of opening the door...poor fit...nothin near OEM...tiny, too small..and the nice chrome finish lol.  I picked up nice OEM handles instead and resold the Made in China handles.....get what you pay for

rudyjrusa

Quote from: chgr500 on March 14, 2007, 12:55:29 AM
Quote from: RogerDodger on March 09, 2007, 03:11:30 PM

eBay made in China door handles bite.....bought a set a while back for I think $26 back then....installed one with scratching the paint on the first pull of opening the door...poor fit...nothin near OEM...tiny, too small..and the nice chrome finish lol.  I picked up nice OEM handles instead and resold the Made in China handles.....get what you pay for

I bought these handles from Mitchell Mopar - i haven't try replacing the original ones on car as of yet.  It has been to cold to try it.  I hope they work.   Not sure were they are made - plastic cover does not state manufacturer.  I asked Frank of Mitchell Mopar if they fit 1974 charger doors - he said yes - but i've been down that road once before.    thanks for the info.