News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

brake booster question

Started by charger01, March 10, 2007, 03:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

I just recieved a brake booster from dependable auto through ebay.  It's one of those new correct colored ones.  Anyways my question is this.  I went to bolt it to my car and the studs on the rear are out of placement.  It looks like if I could spin the back portion of the booster around the studs would line up correctly.  Can I do this or will it damage the brake booster.  Doesnt look right with the master cylinder sitting sideways. :-\

resq302

I'd contact them about it and let them worry about making it right.  Don't need to mess around with something as necessary as brakes.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

John_Kunkel

If you're changing over from manual to power brakes you'll need a different firewall reinforcement plate with a different bolt pattern.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charger01

I have factory 4 wheel drum brakes.  I just needed a new power brake booster.  The one I rcvd needs the bolt pattern swivelled 90 degrees.  I was just wondering if it was possible to unscrew the tightening screw holding the front and back together if the entire back of the booster would swivel around to make the bolt holes line up.  Its the correct booster they just put it together wrong.. any ideas?

Chatt69chgr

I agree with resq302.  Let them deal with this.  Your brakes are your life.

charger01

I sent the booster back and they told me all that had to be done was to loosen the clamp and rotate the bolt pattern around.  They said this could not be done to an older booster or any booster without a clamp because it would destroy the diaphram, but was ok to do with a brand new unit.  Does this sound right to you guys?  Any input would be appreciated.

resq302

I'd ask them for a guarantee in writing that it would not fail when you installed it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

GreenMachine

I split one in half that was a victim of an engine fire. The check valve was melted beyond recognition, so I was curious what the diaphram looked like. Surprisingly it looked brand new. But yes, you can take the halves apart and put them back together. The edge of the diaphram is secured between the halves.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

charger01

Thanks green machine.  You didnt by any chance take any pics did ya?  Just kinda curious what all is involved internally.