News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High efficency radiator cores

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, March 12, 2007, 09:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Just got back from a rad shop to get a price on a recore for my newly aquired "055" radiator. This rad was originally a 2 core.

I was looking to get it made into a 3 core (which supposedly can be done even though the bottom tank is quite narrow.)
The rad guy recommended a new "high efficency" core. This is a 2 core radiator that has the cooling properties of a 3 core due to the larger tubes & more fins per square inch.

Has anyone recored using this type of core? Pros? Cons?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Chris, that is what I got in my charger rad.  Basically you are getting the amount of tubes that would be in a 3 row rad but they are spaced closer together in the two row core.  It costs more usually than a 3 row and the appearance is hard to tell the difference from stock.  If you know how far apart the cores are supposed to be, you can pick up on it in an instant.  If not, you would never know the difference.  For my 2 row high efficiency core in my 22", I paid something like around $300 or so since there is only 2 or 3 companies that still make rad. cores.  My charger that is bored .30 over with a mild cam has no overheating problems either.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Brian, got any pics?.....not that it really matters though....I just gave the rad shop the go ahead to do it....
The 2 core will be giving the same cooling efficency as a 3½ core
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

is_it_EVER_done?

Interesting. I wasn't aware of any high efficiency re-core's but I went to massive Be-Cool's years ago, though I would much rather have the no maintenance brass.

Just for information, I found that having a stock radiator re-cored to a 4 row actually caused idle/low speed temperatures to be higher than a three row. I'm guessing that cramming all that material into the radiator area starts causing airflow restrictions. Keep in mind that I live in the desert, so a non A/C car in a milder environment would probably never be affected by this.

A two row with high efficiency tubes and fins would be a great thing if the tubes are actually designed like the high end aluminums (causes turbulence in the flow), and not just bigger tubes (like the low cost aluminums).

Please post a pic of the radiator when you get it done.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Will do....hopefully by next week or so.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Change of plans......going with a high eff 3 core now :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

I will try and get a pic on Friday.  I work at the cop shop the next two days on day shift. :icon_smile_dead:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto