News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

IS this right? have a gut feeling its not? anyone?

Started by colocolino, March 15, 2007, 10:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colocolino

Who here knows if this was done right by the machine shop who pressed the shaft and bushing in? It seems to me that it should go in a bit more, I asked the mechanic who pressed it in and his response was *shrug* 'weird isnt it, but thats how it goes'. Maybe Im just paranoid but it doesnt seem right when there is just enough room for the shaft to reach the control arm. Can anyone put me at ease??? please help

Ghoste

colocolino

Took off both LCA's and removed the shafts at home, took them in with the new rubber bushings and picked them up today. Looking at it from where the Tbar goes in, seems like there would be just enough room to press it in further.

colocolino

Ghoste

I just went out to the garage and checked and it fits in further on my car.  That little collar is flush to the bushing on mine.

colocolino

Thats what i thought. AARgghh!! I have to wait til next week. Oh well, thanks for taking your time to check, I appreciate it.

moparguy01

Thats how alot of them go. It depends on the car but many have that. when you actually take that peice out and press in a new bushing, that "collar" is further up the shaft than a second step, which is where the inner bushing shell rides.

Ghoste

So he may have to loosely assemble it to be sure first?

Charger_Fan

Here's a shot of Jeroen's LCA as it came apart...
http://www.charger.nl/my_charger.html

...it doesn't show a good one of it reassembled, though.
From what I recall when I did mine a hundred years ago, there was a gap between the bushing & that collar, when it was pressed in.
I'd say test fit them before you take them back to the shop for a re-do.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

Maybe there's something wrong with mine?  I only looked at the drivers side, I wonder if the passenger is flush or sticking out?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Ghoste

Well, I just got back in from the garage.  I checked the passenger side and it was sticking out about 1/2 inch, so I crawled back over to the drivers side and it still looked flush.  But, when I took a screwdriver and scraped away the gunk on the drivers side, what I thought was that collar, was actually the bushing kind of mushroomed out.  A little more digging and I see that the collar is out about the same as the passenger.  So a sigh of relief because I thought there was something bad under mine, a huge apology for misleading you and a new task to do to the car (clean out the gunk under there).

colocolino

Hey Ghoste, did you check the other side??... If yours are flush and others are sticking out then we can assume it doesnt make a significant difference.

Charger-Bodie

they are supposed to be like that the ring you are looking at rest against the k frame and it needs that space to keep the lca away from the k frame when installed this is a good example of take tons of pics cause you can go back and referance them anytime you want
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Mine are definitely NOT resting against the K-frame either.  I have all the grease and crap cleaned out of there and I would guess it to be about halfway between the K frame and the control arm.  If I can find out where she who must be obeyed hid the camera (she's gone for the weekend with the kids so they may have taken it with them), I'll lift the front of my car and try and get some pics.
I am also heading out to run some errands here shortly and I'm going to stop by a buddy's place and see if I can crawl under his 69.  It's all shiny and clean and new under his car so it's another good reference.
At this point though, it looks safe to say that in spite of the machinists noncomittal response to you,it's okay to use.

colocolino

Everyday I learn something new about these cars, I love it. Soon as i get home its all going back in.  ;D

Charger-Bodie

here are some photos from a k frame out back it is from a 68 satellite
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Now I gotta go back out there and crawl under it again.  ::)
The picture out in the open like that makes sense though.  If mine isn't resting against it, then it would have to be sliding back and forth and causing the various problems that would result from that.  It wouldn't be so bad if it were a little more than 20*F out in the stupid garage.

tan top

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 16, 2007, 03:02:12 PM
here are some photos from a k frame out back it is from a 68 satellite

the originals on my 69 were the  same as that  :yesnod:  & the new pivot bolts i fitted are a  exact match :yesnod: to the photo also . the only time you don't see a gap like that is when a poly bush is used .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html