News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket tachs.

Started by 73chgrSE, March 13, 2007, 11:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I want to put a tach in and I have a few questions.

1. What is the best place to mount it other than in the dash.
2. What are some favorable brands.
3. What should does a stock 400 redline @.

HITMAN 149

hey bro....
i'm lookin to do a set of autometer phantom's (white face) in my stock 68' dash cluster.
there is a post i put up about aftermartket gauges... a lil bit ago... i got some coool replies w/ ideas & pics!!!!
i know your talkin about a 3rd gen... but thought i'd just let ya know.
good luck......
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Nacho-RT74

-steering column
-center console
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

74Charger

I have a 5" Auto meter Mounted in my third gen.   Also did not want mounted on the dash.  And I did not like the look of it mounted on the column.   

What I did is mounted it above the center console.  Mounted to the underneath of the dash.  There where already screw holes there.  Very simple and clean.  And with the 5" tach and shift lite.  It is easily seen.

I will see if I can take a pic and post it tomorrow.
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

Nacho-RT74

I love a clean view of underneath of dash so when I buy mine will install a small one ( the smaller as posible ) on to column, between speedo and clock )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rt green

never take a stock 400 over 5 grand. most of the oil will be wound up on the top end, and the mains will starve.   this can be fixed with mods.
third string oil changer

73chgrSE

Doright

year one has a kit to put it in the dash with wireing harness thats the way im going! Bye bye clock!
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

74Charger

it really depends on how clean you want it to look and if you want it too look original. 

Mine is no way original. :icon_smile_big:  But it does look very clean.  Me personally I just do not like the look of them on the column.  It totally looks out of place there.  Thats just me though.  But if you are going with a small tach.  you need it were you can see it.
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

73chgrSE

Maybe on the pillar post or in that corner of the dash would work. I dont care about it looking orignal really. My dash does not have a clock so I'ld be losing the combo fuel/oil pressure gauge if i put it in there. Please post pics if you can of where you have mount tachs in your cars..

hutch

On the hood just under the cowl scoop is where I am going to put mine.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

GTX

I'm old school, on the column just to the side but not one of those big ass ugly monster tachs. ( do those really add 50 hp to a Honda?  :smilielol: )

My boost and other gauges are lower but where I can see them easily.

bordin34

Mine is mounted in the stock radio location. It's very dangerouse and I dont reccomend putting it there. You have to take your eyes 100% off the road to look at it. I didnt put it there. Anybody know the redline on a stock 74 318?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ