News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 Demon 340 with 3 speed manual? Such a thing?

Started by DodgeChargerNeeded, February 26, 2007, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DodgeChargerNeeded

Was there such as thing. I know a guy that says he has the original drivetrain out of a 71 Demon with 340 and 3 speed manual but that doesn't sound right. Just checking.
Jeff

mikepmcs

The Dodge Demon was added to the lineup in 1971. It sat atop a 108 inch wheelbase which was shorter than the other Darts. Available in two trims the standard version came equipped with a 198 cubic-inch inline six-cylinder engine. The optional Demon 340 package was fitted with Chrysler's 340 small-block engine that produced an astonishing 275 horsepower. Also standard was a three-speed fully synchronized floor shifter, sport suspension, dual exhausts, and Rallye instrument cluster. On the exterior of the vehicle sat controversial cartoon devil decals. A Demon Sizzler option soon followed that mimicked the standard options of the base Demon but added the trim pieces of the Demon 340. The following year things remained mostly unchanged except due to rising emissions and safety regulations, the 340 cubic-inch engine was detuned to produce 240 horsepower, a loss of 35 horsepower.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z8905/Dodge_Dart%20Demon/default.aspx

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Ghoste

Happened to the standard 383 Road Runner in 1970 as well.

6pkrunner

In 1970 the insurance companys were slapping a premium on any cars with 4-speed transmissions. The crackdown had begun. Chrysler's way around this was that starting in 1970 the standard transmission in their hi-po cars was the 3 speed standard. This would slide by the insurance company's radars and also held the base price of the cars down.
Naturally not a lot were sold as such as most guys wanted the 4-speed mixer. But the standard offered tranny was the 3 speed manual.

dads_69

I had a gold '71 Twister w/a 340 3 speed 8 3/4 3.55 sure grip. Bought the car for $250.00 from a guy who didn't know what he had for sale. I gutted it and built a badass '72 dart 6 shooter car and installed all the goodies into it since it was rust free.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.