News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'Bullitt' director Peter Yates dies at 81

Started by 68X426, January 11, 2011, 01:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

elacruze

At least he left behind an enduring bit of history.

He could have cut the scene where the front suspension of the Mustang folds up, about a second sooner.  :hah:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Brass

I loved that chase scene and watched it over and over again.  But I am surprised that he won the Oscar for Best Film Editing.  The magically reappearing hubcaps always annoyed the hell out me.

Blakcharger440

It is a great chase scene....even with the 7 hub caps.  :icon_smile_big:

wingcar

Quote from: Brass on January 11, 2011, 03:32:10 PM
I loved that chase scene and watched it over and over again.  But I am surprised that he won the Oscar for Best Film Editing.  The magically reappearing hubcaps always annoyed the hell out me.

It was actually a little known option available on the Charger of that year.  Here's how it work...There were additional hubcaps within the wheel well that would automatically fall into place if a senser detected a hubcap that went missing.  The rim had a magnet set up that would catch and seat the hubcap as it fell in front of the rim.  You can see a new hubcap falling into place above the front wheel in the picture posted by 68x426.  (Of course this option had no real benefit if a Charger was to drive into a filling station at full speed and hit the pumps.)  This option was discontinued when Chrysler realized they were losing hubcap sales.  

And, all these years you thought it was a movie mistake.    :icon_smile_wink:    :lol:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

Does this mean there is no one left who might be able to verify the claims of the guy with the 68 Charger that he says is from the movie?

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

XS29J8

Quote from: Brass on January 11, 2011, 03:32:10 PM
I loved that chase scene and watched it over and over again.  But I am surprised that he won the Oscar for Best Film Editing.  The magically reappearing hubcaps always annoyed the hell out me.

I have always wondered why people can't see what Yates was doing with the chase scene, he gave the audience multiple views from the McQueen vantage point, the Bad Guys Charger view point, and a street view point at several different stages of the chase. Pure Genius! And all yall have done over the years is count hubcaps..........   :o

Sad Day for Charger buffs with his passing,,,,,,,RIP Mr. Yates you were one of the reasons I have owned a 68 Charger R/T for most of my life!    :2thumbs:

Steve

HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

Mike DC

Modern movies would never show 6 hubcaps coming off the Charger. 

But modern movie studios would also spend at least $100 million bucks to do the same flick if it was a brand new script today.  At which point the producers would have scrapped the idea of doing that movie in the first place, because the studio would insist on them doing either a sequel or a remake of something just to keep the financial risk low.

elanmars

they would also use at least 15 cars, trash most of them, still use a bunch of CG anyway and edit it in a way where you don't see much of the car because chaotic, ultra editing is what hollywood serves and the people want. we're too OCD as a nation to have a still image for more than half a second.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

SRT-68

Still one of the great chase movies of all time. Like XS29J8 said, the switching camera perspective was a fantastic idea. RIP