News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tan distributor cap

Started by histoy, February 10, 2007, 08:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histoy

"The Charger, Road Runner & Super Bee Restoration Guide" written by Paul A. Herd states that in 1968 the tan cap was only used with the Hemi engines and the 440 dual point distributor that came in the 4 speed cars.   My car is a single point 440 with an auto trans, so I installed a black cap.   I was just looking over some original literature which shows a picture of a 1968 engine with a dual snorkle air cleaner (383 and 440 lower hp) that has a tan cap.   Does anyone know whether the Restoration guide is correct?

resq302

That restoration guide is just that a guide.  Not a bible.  As a matter of fact, there are a LOT of inaccurate things listed in there.  Don't get me wrong, it is a good reference as it does have some correct stuff but you have to know what info you are getting also. 

As for the tan cap being factory, yes that is correct.  Mopar now makes a tan cap again but it is a slightly darker tan and has an oval black vent in it now.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:

I got a better looking non-vented cap from a guy on Moparts that sells them....sunroofgtx   His name is Rich Gorski.  He sells custom wire sets as well....  Sunroof71@msn.com   

these are HD caps with brass terminals over the cheaper aluminum.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

the accel dist cap is also tan and can be had from autozone
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 11, 2007, 07:03:59 AM

I got a better looking non-vented cap from a guy on Moparts that sells them....sunroofgtx   His name is Rich Gorski.  He sells custom wire sets as well....  Sunroof71@msn.com   

these are HD caps with brass terminals over the cheaper aluminum.

Rich's caps and wires are top shelf !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

resq302

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 11, 2007, 09:46:08 AM

I tried that and it was black, not tan.  Guess Accel changed the color recently.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on February 11, 2007, 11:21:35 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on February 11, 2007, 09:46:08 AM

I tried that and it was black, not tan.  Guess Accel changed the color recently.

those dirty dogs :icon_smile_angry:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

resq302

probably cheaper to do black as they all seem to be black now.
Brian

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on February 11, 2007, 02:27:06 PM
probably cheaper to do black as they all seem to be black now.

i guess id rather have black then blue or red or whatever

firefighter3931

Fwiw, the Mopar Performance caps are Tan colored.....available at the dealer.  ;)

The Caps that Sunroofgtx (Rich) sells are better quality than the MP part....thicker plastic and brass contacts.  :yesnod: The ignition wire sets he sells are very high quality and custom fit for your engine, you just need to tell him what motor and if you're running headers or manifolds. These wires have only 50 ohms resistance per foot.  :thumbs:

At Carlisle, last summer a fellow was looking at Rich's wire set and was sceptical about the low resistance claims so Rich asked him to go pull a few wires from his car and bring them back to the booth so they could be tested. The guy returns with a few of his Taylor 10mm monster cables and was shocked....his coil wire had 2000ohms resistance.....more than about 4 complete  sets of Rich's wires.  :o Needless to say, he left with a new set of wires.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69fuchs

napa still has tan caps...... premium echlin line with brass contacts.

gtx6970

Last year for black caps in production cars was around 1965, everything after that was tan regardless of dual point or single, BUT there are exceptions to every rule,,,,,. I have a pic of the 1970 road test on the red hemi cuda and it has a black cap, so never say never. But ,  if you have it judged it will get points  docked with a black cap
2585000 is the 'made in usa'  cap for dual points, very hard to find and expensize when you do. I had made in usa embossed on the top of the cap,
2444507 is the single point cap. Both are NS1 thru mopar. these were smooth with no lettering originally, later issues had ' rotation' cast into the top of the cap.

The Mopar perf cap is cheap and junk. trust me