News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WARNING, bearings.

Started by Challenger340, December 05, 2006, 02:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

For anybody who screws their own stuff together, BE CAREFUL !

This has been out for quite some time in Engine Builder Circles(1 yr or more), but may not be "common knowledge" for others, so I thought I should warn you guys, that "do your own thing".

Some bearing manufacturers are having problems with overlay consistency. This means, some Bearing halves in a set, might be thicker, or thinner, as is the case, than others in the same set.

"Precision Engine Bearings" MY ASS !

The ONLY way to know if the particular set you're using is affected, is to measure every main bore/rod/etc., with "it's" bearings installed.
This can be quite a pain for some, if you're not a blueprinting shop.
At the very least, use a set of vernier calipers, and measure the bearing halves in the middle prior to installation.
It's good practise anyway.

At times, I'm finding as much as .0023" difference in thicknesses, in a given "set" of bearings, "fresh" out of a sealed pkg.

As an Example;
Most recently, while I was doing a 4.6 Ferd Modular Engine, the all aluminum "Cobra" deal, I found 2 bearing halves, .0015-.0020" thicker than their brothers.

Not to worry, just ordered the competitors bearing for the application. Re-measure, and she's "puss".

Another set of Crappy brg's I gotta eat. So I finally get fed up with this, as it's not the first time, and my "Crap" shelf is gett'in Full !

So I finally get mad, and phone the first bearing manufacturer, to Bitch, and tell them how much better the competitor's bearings were.

WRONG !

Seems the first manufacturer, BUILDS those bearings, FOR the competitor, who uses their own box !

In an effort to prevent "duplication", in a dwindling market place, and increase profitability, Cl*****e are building some part numbers for **, and ** is building some Part numbers for Cl*****e. Both are re-boxing.

So there you have it. It's becoming more and more common. Don't "trust" your preferred bearing company anymore, and measure all brg's prior to installation, if you don't already.

I don't like it, but it seems, they're even putting each others "logos & numbering" on the bearing back, when building for each other !

Hope I ain't bummed anybody out, just hoping to warn people to be aware.

I woulda been really pissed, if I'd have missed it, and "Mr. all aluminum FERD 4.6 Blower deal" had puked it's guts out !
Luckily for me, I caught it, but UNLUCKILY for us, now the world has another 680 hp "Ferd geek" to listen to !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

charger_mike75

that must explain why i had 100 p.s.i. oil pressure after replacing the bearings in my truck

squeakfinder

I just got my 440 back from finish boring and honing. I haven't purchased the main,rod and cam bearings yet.

But in talking with the machinist he said that some time's clevite's would plastigage loose. So getting a different set of bearings would usually fix it.

So what are the other brands that are in all actuality clevitte.

Is Federal Mogul any better?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Mefirst

daytonalo

Thats the kind of stuff I don't have the pockets for . I spec out and hand off my engine and parts to my engine builder . This way if it spits its guts up , its his problem !!!!!

Mefirst

Quote from: daytonalo on February 18, 2007, 03:14:48 PM
Thats the kind of stuff I don't have the pockets for . I spec out and hand off my engine and parts to my engine builder . This way if it spits its guts up , its his problem !!!!!

-Don't want to be an ass, but if I understand several of your posts correct over at the Wing car section, your building a Daytona clone, kinda expensive project right? So my question is how come you don't seem to have any problems dumping al that money into a Daytona clone build, but wont buy the top of the line quality engine bearings? I don't understand your priorities... then again we al do things different and same with how we make priorities about how we build stuff...

My :Twocents:

daytonalo

Who said I don't buy the best ? I do my homework on cam , comp , valve springs and the rest is my engine guys problem . Just finishing up a 472 , alum head , 11-1 , roller hyd hemi , should be 600 hp , built it for 10k . Trust me I'm poor , I live for this shit