News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinions Needed On The 03-04 Grand Cherokee Limited

Started by Goldfinger71, January 24, 2007, 12:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldfinger71

Hello All,
I wanted to get some feedback from some 03-04 Cherokee Limited owners.I am about to buy one shortly and I want to see what people's opinions are.I did used to own a 96 or 97 Laredo years back and I had no trouble out of it.
I am looking at a 4WD 8 cylinder version...Does anyone out there tow with there's?I would probably tow my car (71 Charger)from time to time.Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks Everyone!   :icon_smile_cool:

1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

PocketThunder

Go to this forum and read a ton of posts about them.  Make sure the blend door has been fixed or is in working condition before you buy one.  Its $1200 to have it fixed at the dealer.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

You might want to spend a little more and get a 2005.  they fixed the blend door problem and its the latest body style.  Unless you gotta have a solid front axle.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

472 R/T SE

I don't know if you can swing it $$, but I've been hearing lots of good stuff on the new SRT version.  ;)

bull

I went to great lengths to compare them to the Durango and I ended up with an '03 Durango 4.7L. My brother has an '05 Limited w/hemi and he doesn't like the cylinder cutout that you're not supposed to feel because he can feel it. Other than that he likes it. I just don't like how small the Cherokees are inside. At 6'1" and 260 I fit fine inside the Durango.

Goldfinger71

The 05's are not in the budget.I appreciate the feedback thus far....Keep the feedback coming! :yesnod:
I like the Durango's but my business partner owns one and I don't want to be a copycat.I also don't like column shift,particulary in an SUV.
Pocket'...Thanks for the link.I have learned alot already!
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

StevieRT

My buddy has an '02 which is basically the same thing as the 03 and 04. Really nice truck with every option, full time 4x4 and the 4.7 V8. The thing is really quick and would have plenty of power to pull a car and trailer too. I know on the limited and overlands they had a 4.7 high output V8 that you could only get in the Jeeps until recently...It even made more power than the old 5.9, and almost as much torque. He really likes his and hasn't complained about anything since he bought it. I know it can pull a 22' Baja boat no problem so the car and trailer shouldn't be too bad at all. Check out wjjeeps.com for a bunch of technical info on em. Oh and even with the V8 he gets like 16-17 mpg with it!

694spdRT

Depending on the weight of your trailer I would be afraid hauling a '71 Charger with a Grand Cherokee. The power would be fine but braking and stability would be my concern. I had a '99 Grand Cherokee and I think it was rated for about 6000 or 6500 lbs. It handled my 3000lb boat fine but doubling that would make me nervous. I now have a '05 Grand Cherokee and they just are not that big of a vehicle...my '69 Charger seems to dwarf it. If you had an aluminum trailer then maybe it would be OK...maybe.

I don't care to haul B body size cars with anything less that a 3/4 ton truck. With lighter cars a 1/2 ton is fine.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

jwilk01

I work for a Chrysler Jeep dealership and those things are in all the time.  Usually nothing major, but like what was said before the blend doors are major thing also the front brake pads and rotors.  There is a TSB out for them and they have to fix them if it hasn't been done before.  Other than those 2 major things I can't think of anything else else that we see them come in for.  Good luck.

Later
Josh

bull

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 25, 2007, 12:09:47 PM
Depending on the weight of your trailer I would be afraid hauling a '71 Charger with a Grand Cherokee. The power would be fine but braking and stability would be my concern. I had a '99 Grand Cherokee and I think it was rated for about 6000 or 6500 lbs. It handled my 3000lb boat fine but doubling that would make me nervous. I now have a '05 Grand Cherokee and they just are not that big of a vehicle...my '69 Charger seems to dwarf it. If you had an aluminum trailer then maybe it would be OK...maybe.

I don't care to haul B body size cars with anything less that a 3/4 ton truck. With lighter cars a 1/2 ton is fine.

What he said: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21738.0.html

Alain426

i own  a 2000 grand cherokee limited 4.7 4x4, and like said before, its not apropriate to tow a heavy car

i went to pittsburg reach a srt-4 with me jeep and a dolley, and the rear of the jeep wasn't stable, the jeep got the power, got brake, but the handling is dangerous when you need to turn at high speed

i towed my 71 charger with my old 2001 dakota 4.7 and a full size trailer, and it was a way more stable than the cherokee