News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How high should my rear-end be?

Started by 471_Magnum, January 07, 2007, 10:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

Okay, no wise comments here....  :icon_smile_big:

I'm leaning towards installing new springs as my next move in my battle against wheel hop.

ESPO gives the option of +1" and +2" over stock height.

Right now, I'm really not sure what stock height is, so I'm not sure if I want to go higher.

With 28" tires (275-60-15) @ 28 psi, half tank of gas and an empty trunk & passenger compartment, the center of my wheel arch (highest point) is 26.5" off the ground on both sides.

I'd like to get some measurements off some other second gens. Please qualify your measurements by at least including tire size or diameter. I'd be particulary interested in hearing from some folks with newer springs.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Brock Samson

i have 15s 26 tall in front 28 inches tall in back..
ss springs GTQs on TTIIs, an inch maybe down in front. (T-bar adjustment).
no rubbing at all.

471_Magnum

Thanks, but I'm looking for the measurement at the wheel opening.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Brock Samson

Brock Samson

At the center of the arches 25 inches in front 28 inches in back...

471_Magnum

Thanks Brock. Looks good.

What springs you runnin'?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mine with a full tank of gas & 255/60/15 tires measures 25¾"

My springs are the ESPO XHD Hemi style springs about 5 years old now
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Stock R/T 6/7 springs.  295/50/15 (26.sumthing high).    25" at center of wheelwell.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Hemidoug

If you are looking to correct wheel hop, adjusting your spring height isn't going to solve your problem. Wheel hop is caused by the rear differential winding up and releasing under acceleration. The proper method of limiting wheel hop is to install stiffer springs along with an adjustable pinion snubber. The pinion snubber should be adjusted 2-3 inches below the pinion snubber plate. You might try a traction bar similar to the one sold by Caltracs. Adjusting spring height will do absolutely nothing for you other then adjust your ride height.  You might want to install adjustable shocks to help with some preload on the suspension. You need to limit your axle wind up if you want to eliminate wheel hop.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

471_Magnum

Hemidoug,

I agree, and my wheel hop issues are a subject of another thread. Fresh springs are part of the equation. These 37 year old springs are wrapping up on me. With 5 degrees down of pinion angle, I'm still hopping.

I'm just trying to make sure I get the height where I want it in the process.

BTW, height will have some effect as it contributes to the pinion angle equation, but that's not what I'm going after.

Brock Samson

i have the super stock springs and the pinion snubber which are fine for jack rabbit starts but unnerving on the highway as the rear really wants to skip over bumps rather then ride them out... there's only one bounce when going over a bump and man what a bounce!  :yesnod:
it has been often recomended i return to the stock heavy duty rear springs for a better highway ride...
but i mostly like it this way...

Ghoste

Face it Brock, you're just a wild man who's living on the edge buddy.
You wouldn't have much in the way of hills and curves in roadways where you live anyway, would you?  :icon_smile_tongue:

471_Magnum

After installing the stock height ESPO springs, I'm sitting about 1" higher. It will probably settle a little bit.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T