News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radio Installation

Started by Chris 69, December 26, 2006, 08:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

Well, I was trying to install a non-stock radio in my '68 Charger. It's a Panasonic AM/FM/Cassette CQ-V10EU if that helps. I connected it per the wiring diagram, with the battery lead, ignition lead and ground.

When I switched the ignition to the accessory position, the power light on the radio came on. When I pushed power, the face of the radio came on for about two seconds and then shut off while leaving the power light on. Now when I push the power button (which shows power going to the radio), nothing happens.

I checked all of the fuses and they are good. The radio worked fine when it was in the boat.

Any ideas what I may be doing incorrectly?

Thanks,

Chris

Charger-Bodie

is there possibly a fuse on the back of the radio maybe?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

y3chargerrt

mikepmcs

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 27, 2006, 09:19:34 PM
is there possibly a fuse on the back of the radio maybe?

that's what it sounds like to me or an inline fuse.  but why did it blow is my question? be careful tapping into that old wiring harness(if it is old).
i don't know your experience with electronics but i know mine.  Don't give your car any reason to start a dash fire.  I'd pull it and check all your wiring one more time.  if it's not the fuse then hook it back up to something else to verify operation.  i'm guessing it's an older radio cause you state cassette.

good luck and be careful.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chris 69

Thanks for the help guys.

I was never able to get the newer radio to work. However, I was able to get the original AM/FM radio going. I don't believe the original radio was grounded correctly, but now it works!

It does not sound as good or pick up some of the stations out of the Redding, CA area, but it looks much better than the aftermarket radio.

Chris