News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

are small engines funner to drive

Started by Roadkill74 SE, January 01, 2007, 12:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill74 SE

why do people say that small engines are more fun to drive than big engines :devil:

Charger_Fan

Uhhhh... :crazy:

Hang on, I'm thinking...

wait for it...

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger_Fan

"funner", you say...

... :image_294343:

...still thinking...

...slurp...

:cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Zentelis

Well, if you like the anticipation of getting to 60mph, the fun lasts much longer with a smaller engine  ;D

*ducks*

Jon Smith

who says that exactly??
the people who've never driven something with a big engine maybe?

CB

drove a '72 with 318 and now a '69 with 383.....
size does matter :D
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Troy

Personally, I think it depends on the car. My first Charger was a 318. It was fun but certainly not overwhelming. I could outrun most of the 80s econoboxes that my friends had but I wouldn't dare take on anything more potent. It was ok on the back roads but the size of the car and lack of "oomph" coming out of the turns probably kept me from killing myself. I had a 318 in my 70 Challenger and it was a completely different animal. Lots more fun on the back roads but still not a lot of acceleration. My cousin had a 440 in his Challenger and mine felt like a pedal car after riding in his (but he couldn't turn either). I have ridden in 383, 440, and Hemi powered Chargers and there's not a chance I'd put a small block in one of mine. My Barracuda though... I am seriously torn between a built 360, a late model Magnum 360 conversion, and a 383/440. I already have the big block engines but I think the e-Body cars are just made for small blocks. I will always think of them as Trans Am racers instead of on the drag strip so I think I'd be happier with the smaller engine.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I agree with Troy.  I know there are small block equipped B-bodies that would hand me my ass all day long but I had a well worked 340 in a 69 Charger once and I've had stock small blocks in smaller cars and overall, I've enjoyed big blocks in the heavier cars and small blocks in the lighter cars.  I can't go so far as saying that my experience is an absolute.  It's nothing more than a personal preference based on my own driving experiences.

Paul G

I think the statement "smaller engines are more fun" applies to really small four cylinder engines. You can wind those things out and keep grabbing gears like no tomarow. Then take a look at the speedometer and you arent even close to 80 MPH. If banging gears and high revs make for fun than the little guys are a blast.

Small V8's in heavy cars are just frustrating.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

41husk

I think for getting looks as your cruizing engine size makes no difference, but theres nothing like the feel of acceleration with a big block.  I also agree with Troy, E body cars handle much better with a small block and thats why I went with a 340 in mine, but I wouldnt turn down a Hemi E body either!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mikesbbody

I have to agree with troy as well i have heard the e bodies are better suited for a small block, i have never had a e body but drove a challenger with a 360 and it was awesome however...lets not forget that famous saying..."there's no replacement for displacement" meaning you cant beat big cubes for big torque and power...IMO ill stick to my 440 over a small block for my charger 

Mean 318

I started with a 318 in my Coronet and I think its all in how you drive it! BTW Paul G. Nice Charger!

WM23N1

I have a 383 in my duster that replaced the slant 6 in it. I really like the power the 383 has but I sure do miss the "fun" I had with the slant 6! :smilielol:
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

red72chrgr

Having driven cars that have had big and small blocks. They each have their good/bad points. I've also driven a very fast(for the time) little buzz bucket, remember the 240Z? I kinda like the high revving little engines, gives ya a sense of moving quicker than ya are.
Nothing personal, just business

Dave22443

The only advantage that I could see is in handling. Having had both big and small blocks in my Charger I can speak from experience in saying that with the small block in it, the car is better ballanced.  The big block tends to make the car nose heavy and it throws off the cornering somewhat.

So if your running say, against the clock, around some cones laid out on a runway where you never top 60 mph, then the small block is the way to go.  However, if you are running on the street from stop light to stop light, or on the drag strip, then big block is the only answer.

In the end, the small block wins only in very specific situations, but the big block wins hands down overall, unless your just cruising, whereas the small block can run all day on a tank of gas and never overheat.   :icon_smile_wink:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Blakcharger440

You can shave off quite a bit of weight on yer bigblocks with aluminum heads,waterpumps,etc. to make it a little lighter on the front end, you can also do that with the small blocks...but you still wont have the large amount of cubes! :yesnod:

bull

Sounds like something a guy with small man's complex would say about the size of his manhood. :rotz:

nakita7

Not sure about more fun, but definately less finicky. Goes way longer before something has to be adjusted/replaced etc. That's my experience...

andy74

any one who says a small engine is more fun is a big giant PU##Y!

69charger2002

LMAO... mopar or no car. big block or no block
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Lord Warlock

despite the fact that there is no such word as funner.....I think we all know what you mean. 

I have a 3.0 Litre v6 that will downright embarrass 90 percent of all the chargers on this board, packaged in a car with R/T emblems.  Handles fantastic, goes around turns on rails, squats and scoots and has a top end higher than a hemi.  Plus it has no slop in the steering or suspension like the old charger has.  Is it "funner" than the older slower charger... in its own way, yes.  but it doesn't lope at idle, it doesn't roar when gunning the car, it doesn't frighten little kids, and won't make teenagers walking down the middle of the road jump to get out of your way.  And while it did cause people to whip their heads around trying to get a 2nd glance at it in traffic, it just doesn't have the presence that a big block 440 magnum powered Charger does on the street.  And last of all, the larger v8 can just smoke the tires which can be fun it its own way.  The smaller engine car can't do a burnout without heavy mods and launching at 6500rpm.  The 440 can do it from idle

Driving the charger on a dirt road at 60mph around turns is more fun that driving the stealth is. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Lowprofile

Quote from: WM23N1 on January 01, 2007, 06:09:33 PM
I have a 383 in my duster that replaced the slant 6 in it. I really like the power the 383 has but I sure do miss the "fun" I had with the slant 6! :smilielol:

Cool Duster Bro. I had a friend in high school with one the same color & wheel combo...+ Sidepipes! :icon_smile_tongue: :2thumbs:  Love to see more pics of your Duster!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

skip68

My R1 has a small engine in it and it's funnnnnnerrrrrrrrrrr  :icon_smile_tongue:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!