News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Neglected '70 Super Bee

Started by lumpy, January 12, 2007, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Quote from: Mean 318 on January 13, 2007, 05:00:31 PM
I am one of the people who "lets" their car sit outside... I only have so much room in the garage so in the summer the ol' Coronet sits outside. I do put it inside in the winter, but when the cheepest storage here is a nonheated match box that runs you $80 a month... I am fixing it, and once I start doing body work I will find somewhere to put it! I try to get it somewhere safe when it storms, but I cant allways be that lucky! Last summer a rain storm got me.

boy, I feel like I am speaking chinese here!!   ;D ;D  your car sits outside with a coat of paint, gets cleaned, and I would hope that the windows/doors seal pretty good. My comments are directed at that 'I'm gonna fix 'er up someday" crowd who use muscle cars as rotting yard art....the ones who let them decay in the yard while grass grows up around them and refuse legitimate offers to sell. 

there is a world of difference between the guy with the bee and you or the other guy who has his project stored until he can get to it.  my point is that once someone makes that decision to relegate  the old beast to the back yard,  lets the grass grow, uses no cover or a cruddy cover, that same someone is not likely the one who resurrects it.  how many more stories do you have here from our members here that end up with "and he won't sell, he's gonna fix er up"  you can usually spot these cars because they are surrounded by garbage, derelict buildings, old consruction equipment or my favorite: the remains of a pop up camper from the 70's.

it must be a law that every rotting muscle car in someones yard has to be within 30' of one of these!!

it's frustrating knowing that there are still some saveable cars out there and there good homes for them, but some people have a mental condition that allows them to delude themselves that they will get to it "some day"
RECHRGED

Lord Warlock

dry storage in florida is relative.  There is always humidity to worry about, even if its in a garage or under a cover.  I'll concede your point though.  A majority of those owners with a car rotting in the yard will never fix it, mainly because once they do get around to starting on it, they'll find out exactly how expensive it is to replace a floor or trunk, or reweld a new top on that has long since rusted out from sitting outside.  My car spent 10 years in a portable garage structure; aluminum framing and a plastic/tarp type cover over the frame.  Kept the rain off, but let the rats in which was probably worse than the rain...still reeks of rat even after gutting the interior and pressure washing the floor inside.  Its my guess there is still a remnant of a nest inside the AC ducts inside the car, or in the heater box.  And that won't be removed/restored until the rest of the car is done...so i'll just have to live with the odor.  At least its not overwhelming now after being in a garage with the windows open for 5 or more years. 

I've run across several of the delapidated yard ornament cars that i've tried to buy from the owner, one was a superbird which the owner never returned from vietnam.  He'd chase you off the property with a shotgun.  I just don't understand why they prefer to see the car disintegrate year after year, and remind them of the loss rather than sell it and see it returned to glory.  Most buyers would be happy to send some pictures after its rebuild.  Its a shame to know where a real six pack car is and watch it go bad.  I do know that some owners won't consider selling their car to a youngster, even if the kid is rich.  They may change their mind if confronted by someone close to the same age as they are (like your dad), i'm not above trying to get my dad involved in a purchase if I think it will make a difference.  (and I'm 45)

Lord Warlock
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

lumpy

You guys are Mopar guys right? Some of you are sounding like you would rather have a Chevy than a true '70 v code Super Bee, even though the styling is a bit strange, it is still a Mopar Muscle Car!!! By the way I have a special place in my heart for '61 Plymouths and '69-71 Furies. I understand that the car is probably not worth what I was thinking, maybe I have spent too much time looking at overpriced cars on Ebay!!! But to say that a numbers matching, original and complete V code 4spd dana car is just blah, blah blah?? I have sold a few parts and owned a few cars and just because you personally would only give 5-7k for the car does not mean that is all that it is worth. IMO it would still be a nice car to have.

dkn1997

I think the general vibe in this thread is that anyone would love to have the car, but that it's not worth 25k as a project.
RECHRGED