News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

K frame stregnthening

Started by Rolling_Thunder, January 15, 2007, 02:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

I read somewhere about things to do to strengthen a K-frame...     the article i read has illuded me for some time now...    any hints on what and where to weld some gussets and extra pieces for the added strength ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

inside & around the steering box mount / left engine mount & brace the idler arm mount as well , reweld a lot of the factory crappy welds while you are there

Mike DC

Yeah, that's good advice.

The big thing to look out for is the lower control arm mounts.  The small metal tubes (in place for the LCA's to bolt into) can gradually tear out of the sidewalls of the K-frame legs.  At least check the front & rear of the tubes where they weld to the K-frame legs for cracks.  Welding on some thick washers will gusset the area better.

The steering box mount has flexing issues in stock shape.  I don't really ever hear of the steering box mount actually FAILING on people's cars or anything, but it seems to take a little bit of slop out of the steering to gusset things a bit.  Worry about side-to-side movement of the steering box.  And the idler & pitman arms could use a look too.

bull

Here's a brief description and pictures of how Frim Feel does it: http://www.firmfeel.com/reinfkfram_b.htm

daytonalo

I thank them for the photos , now I can do it myself !

kamkuda

Here is mine just done.

kamkuda

The opening helps with oil pan sizing and engine removal

The strength comes from the tubing underside and boxing in the mounts and steering box.
This is more drag race than street but I posted it for ideas for you.