News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you think of this?

Started by bull, December 19, 2006, 10:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Big-Block-Mopar-383-V-8-crate-motor-390-HP_W0QQitemZ170060725051QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Shipping would probably kill.

Mopar 383 V-8 crate engine.

Block--hot tanked, magnaflux tested, bored .030 on Sunnen machine.  New cam bearings and brass freeze plugs installed.

Bottom end--stock Mopar steel crank w/ balancer, reconditioned rods, new Keith Black 9.3:1 hypereutectic flat top pistons w/ moly rings. Trimetal bearings.

Top end--cast iron heads from Aerohead Racing Components, fitted with hardened exhaust seats for use with unleaded fuel, 2.08"x 1.74" stainless valves, heat treated & machined retainers and locks, new seals, bronze wall valve guides. 3 angle valve job, and valve springs installed up to .509" lift in order to match cam spec .  Stock rockers and shafts.  aluminum 4bbl intake to match cam.

Cam--Comp Cams flat tappet hydraulic 284 duration .484" lift 110 centerline, Comp Cams double roller timing set. Cam can be changed if customer requests.

Power output--398 HP @ 5500 RPM, 418 ft.lbs. @ 4500 RPM (calculated with 750 cfm carb and large tube headers--not included).

Chryco Psycho

toss the cam & pistons at it looks ok

Ghoste

I could have almost predicted CP's post word for word.  You're likely right on the shipping too Bull.
Hey Neil, you ever think about putting together a crate engine to sell?

Challenger340

For an Iron head 383, I don't think it's too bad.

Is that a dyno'd/proven engine, and power output ? Or just one like it ?

If that engine, is well machined & built, quality done, it's probably pretty fair pricewise.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

bull

It's kind of odd they went with the stock-style intake. Seems to me (though I'm no expert) that something a bit taller would be better.

Challenger340

Yep, just a guess, but maybe that Intake for velocity(torque) down low ?
383's are inherently weaker down low,and, maybe they thought hood clearance ?
Dunno.

firefighter3931

:iagree: The dual plane is a good choice for a short stroke 383 build. The cam seems a little big for your needs Curtis.  ;)

The Comp xe275hl would be a better choice, inmo.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2006, 07:54:12 AM
I could have almost predicted CP's post word for word.  You're likely right on the shipping too Bull.
been there done that , any Mopar engine  Can be built to exactly what you need

Challenger340

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 23, 2006, 09:54:08 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2006, 07:54:12 AM
been there done that , any Mopar engine  Can be built to exactly what you need

Agreed, been there done that as well, but not always, for what that someone wishes to spend. LOL !

Chryco Psycho

for sure , basically the first decision in building an engine is Budget

Challenger340

The first thing, in ANYBODY'S  budget should be; "your engine guys fees".

NOT, what parts you want !