News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hydrolic Lifters, can I change them and not the cam ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Started by skip68, October 12, 2009, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

I have a lifter that keeps collapsing and want to know if I can put all new lifters in without swaping the cam.   I do want to change the cam for a solid lifter cam but that will have to wait.  I am going to put in a msd 6al box this week in hopes of better spark and cleaner lower rpm burn.   Can I put in solid lifters on a hydrolic cam ?     Thanks,   Chuck.............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Rolling_Thunder

i would not run solids on a hydraulic stick    :rotz:

I have put new lifters on a old stick before without issue...       :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

oldkimmer

..........u can use new hyd lifters on a used hyd cam..... ........ i have run hyd lifters on a sold cam......ramps r different between the cams........solids use approx 20 segrees more.............kim...........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A383Wing

Quote from: skip68 on October 12, 2009, 02:34:59 PM
Can I put in solid lifters on a hydrolic cam ?     Thanks,   Chuck.............

Yes...as long as the lobes are OK...look at the bottom of the old lifters and make sure none are dished out.

BBKNARF

68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

bull

I've replaced hyd lifters before without changing the cam, but only with other hyd lifters.

Charger-Bodie

A friend of mine just removed his Sholbreck (sp) lifters for a new set of comps a couple weeks ago....He called me tonight and said his gine is full of shavings.  :brickwall: So be aware that it can go eithe way.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

skip68

Do I need to break in the new lifters or just put them in and run it ? 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

A383Wing

Put 'em in and run 'em.....as I stated, make sure the ones you pull out are not "dog dished" on the bottom....if they are, yer gonna need a cam.

skip68

elacruze

You can put new lifters on an old cam but old lifters can only install on the lobes they were originally mated to. That means not only that you can't use old lifters on a new cam, but you can't swap the old lifters around on the old cam they started on.
Be darn sure to break the new lifters in the same way you would if the cam was new too. Use the break-in lube that comes with them, and keep the rpm up for the first 2-5 minutes of run time to be sure the lobes get oiled sufficiently while mating.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

skip68

The cam I have is the Mopar purple 292/292 509 cam.   :rotz:  I hate it and wanted to change it to a solid lift cam with more bottom end but if I can just change to solid lifters I may keep it.   I have about 3500 miles on this motor so it is still fresh.   

firefighter3931

Chuck, you can certainly install new lifters on an older cam.....but the new parts need to be properly broken in with good lube/additives.  :yesnod:

Your engine would be a good candidate for the Rhodes style hyd lifters commonly referrred to as "variable duration" lifters. These lifters help the engine build more vacuum and clean up the idle. They are a little noisier than a standard hyd lifter.....your car would sound similar to Mikes does with the solid cam.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

skip68

vegasmike

skip68

I know... I know...   I'll have some as soon as I can.   I'm poor on cash right now as you know.   :rotz:   :brickwall:

oldkimmer

..............Rhodes lifters work great...........they r not a cure all .............I like em.........kim.........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrianShaughnessy

I had a MP 509 w/ 108 centerline in before.    I changed out the regular MP lifters to Crane Hi-Intensity (Rhodes type) lifters.   I got a bit more vacuum at idle...  probably a little bit easier to drive down low but not a whole lot.

Not sure on how the newer version 114 centerline 509 would behave.

Yeah... lube it up and break it in just like a new cam.   Good luck.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.