News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

vacuum cannister 69er

Started by mister bungle, December 18, 2006, 03:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mister bungle

I was wondering why the size of the vacuum cannister for the headlights have a diffrent size on the 70 charger. I need a 69 cannister, but why is there any diffrence.
What are the right measurments for a 69 cannister so i can make one myself.
Born with the right heart in the wrong continent

Ghoste

If you are talking about the headlight one, and that is the only one I'm aware of on a 69, you don't need it for the 70.  Your headlight doors are electric.

mister bungle

Yes the headlight vacuum cannister for a 69 is what i need. But i know someone who has a cannister from his 70. he switched to electrical, and is given away that cannister. Will it fit on my 69er?
Born with the right heart in the wrong continent

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 18, 2006, 05:11:36 PM
www.dayclona.com repro's the cans...I didnt think 70's had them at all ???

http://www.dayclona.com/view_item.aspx?page=4&id=51
:iagree:

The '70's used an electric motor and didn't have a canister. Maybe the '70 was converted somehow earlier in life due to a bad motor or something.  :shruggy: If it is free I would grab it and if it don't work toss it.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Charger-Bodie

the 70 charger still has a can it mounts to the radiator supt and is about 1/3 the size of 68 68 , it is on a/c cars for the controls only it is still in that corner under the battery but not mounting to the rail
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TylerCharger69

If you aren't worried about the factory appearance.....You really don't need that canister.   All it does is keeps vacuum in the system to operate the doors when the engine is off.   I have mine hooked to the intake directly

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 18, 2006, 08:55:55 PM
If you aren't worried about the factory appearance.....You really don't need that canister.   All it does is keeps vacuum in the system to operate the doors when the engine is off.   I have mine hooked to the intake directly

....thats not true it also keeps the doors in the selected position in a low vacuum situation in most cases the factory installe the parts on a car for a reason
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

TylerCharger69

Really??...Well....I have deleted my canister, and they work fine and evenly.  Only difference is, I need to turn the lights off before shutting off the engine so the headlight doors can close.  It is not a needed part

TylerCharger69

In fact...do a search  in the forum...there was a topic on this issue   a long time ago!!!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 18, 2006, 10:24:15 PM
In fact...do a search  in the forum...there was a topic on this issue   a long time ago!!!

im talking about the doors in the a/c unit under the dash on a a/c car not the h/l doors .......the question was about a vac can for a 70 charger and if a 70 charger has a vacuum canister [unless it was put there by mistake or for another reason] is for the doors in the heater a/c unit period

Chatt69chgr

I can verify that 70's did have a vacuum canister under the battery tray as I removed one last week from a 70.  It is about 1/3 the size of the one on my 69 charger.  It was rusted and the only reason I got it was I wanted to see if I could reuse the check valve in the end to make another canister plus I wanted to see exactly how the check valve is attached.  Well, there is a steel piece inside and the check valve seems to be made of pot metal or aluminum and sticks thru the end of the can and is swaged over inside against the steel piece.  Also, the hose connections to it were smaller than the one on my 69.  Everyone knows that the 69 vacuum canisters are just juice cans.  And that you can buy the reproduction----for about $125.  I would love to know where the check valve is being sourced.  It has to be available from somewhere.  There is no way someone would have had that check valve reproduced.   I measured the canister off my 69 and it is 4-1/4 inches diameter and a hair under 7 inches long.  The check valve is gold colored and has two vacuum line connections coming out of it.  A larger one in the center and a smaller one adjacent to it.  The one off the 70 just had two smaller vacuum line connections.

TylerCharger69

That's the point....'70 and up are electric driven.   The 69 canister is for the headlamp doors only.

TylerCharger69

Quote from: mister bungle on December 18, 2006, 03:32:13 PM
I was wondering why the size of the vacuum cannister for the headlights have a diffrent size on the 70 charger. I need a 69 cannister, but why is there any diffrence.
What are the right measurments for a 69 cannister so i can make one myself.

This is where the topic started.....the canister for the 70 is not for the H/L doors....that's what I was saying and the canister for the 69 can be deleted.  On a 69...the heater control vacuum runs through the firewall  (about the top center...to the left of the wiper motor)   Now as far as the '70 canister....I don't know, other than the H/L doors are electric and not vacuum driven,  so we are obviously talking about two different items.