News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I get a Charger even if I don't have anywhere to put it?

Started by Supercharged Riot, January 23, 2007, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If I don't have space to park it in a garage. Should I get a Charger?

Get it! and worry about storage after
18 (66.7%)
No. (Don't risk it). Wait till you get more space
4 (14.8%)
Get it. Who cares if it's parked outside
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Supercharged Riot

Well?  it kinda relates to why I posted my last poll. I was just doing a statistics run thats all. I got a big dilemma here...

Heres the deal...

Theres 6 people in my family living in a gated house that only fits 3 cars inside the gates.

Out of the other cars in the family, only my daily driver is parked outside the gates because my car isnt good (worth) enough (compared to the other 3 cars) to park inside the gates.

My parents wont share the garage because it's their house, so forget that idea.

The only space I have to fight over is with my older brother's Chevy truck.

Chances are, my cars will be parked outside on a regular basis.  I don't like the idea of a Charger being stolen and Ive already heard one story on this board (Charger stolen at the body shop) before.

If it helps, I live in southern California.  I don't live in a ghetto area, but I wont underestimate a thief. It's already bad enough that my Civic is a common target for theives.  What will happen if a Charger is outside like a sitting duck?

That doesnt mean I wont take security measures. I plan on using the following anti-theft devices...

-"detachable steering wheel" with a hub lock on it (even if it means replacing the original steering wheel)
-alarm
-Ravelco
-kill switches (mabe)

opinions & experiences, please share! Very important info I need

Charger1973

You can always put it in a storage building.  There are lots of places where you can store your car for a monthly fee.  It might not be as convenient but you know it would be safe that way. 

Ghoste

Get it and find something.  Appeal to your brother's good graces?

Blakcharger440

Hmmmm....Is the Charger you are expecting to buy gonna be already restored and looka like a million bucks and have a zillion performance mods on it? If so I would not want to keep it outside if that is the case. But if ya found a good deal on a restorable one then maybe it wont catch the attention of the thieves as much........Awwww who am i kiddin it will still get attention even when unrestored.

BlueSS454

If you want to store it somewhere, i would reccommend a storage facility.  None of the security measures you listed prevent a flatbed from hauling it off.
Tom Rightler

jasonfromIKILLYA

is there really that much risk of having it stolen?  I'm not trying to be an ass.  I'm honestly surprised.  That wouldn't even cross my mind.  Maybe I'm naive.

I'd get it if you could find a place soon.  Otherwise it will waste away.  It's not the only one out there.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

mikesbbody

bluess545 and charger1973 are right, a storage building is probaby the way to go is somebody wants it bad enough it can be taken from just about anywhere I have been in your position before, but always had my cars stored somewhere when they couldnt be with me. I say if yo want the car go for it!

Silver R/T

depends if you get nice deal on Charger, then its worth getting one even without garage. I've had my Charger for 4 years + living in apts. Stored it in aunt's backyard. Now got a house and its garaged
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Supercharged Riot

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 24, 2007, 12:36:43 AM
depends if you get nice deal on Charger, then its worth getting one even without garage. I've had my Charger for 4 years + living in apts. Stored it in aunt's backyard. Now got a house and its garaged

Here's the Charger I was intending to pick up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-RED-DODGE-CHARGER-440-GREAT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ270082773917QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old Moparz

One thing to ask yourself, is how long would it be before you had your own place to park the car securely? For the last 25 years I've always had an indoor space I can lock the car up in. That includes rented, borrowed, and finally my own space. It's nice to have an old classic car, but the worry that goes with it sucks. Yeah, there's insurance & security devices, but the headaches & the fact it was vandalized or swiped still sucks a lot more. I'd try to make sure I had a safe place to keep it before actually hunting one down. Even just keeping it from the weather is a plus.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

charger490

i just sold my house and 30 x50 gaage so i had to fimd a place to store my 3 cars .i found a place for 150.00 a year each car. so look around and find a place.also check your insurance policy to make sure that it says you have to keep it in a locked garage charger490

Charger_Fan

I agree with these guys, find a safe spot to park it. That's a highly visible car & if you've already had problems with theives taking stuff off your ricer, that Charger will only be a larger magnet.

Actually...maybe that car would look better than your brother's truck, therefore would automatically warrant the prime parking spot at the house, leaving him to park his on the street? :icon_smile_big:
If not, go find a safe spot.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

RT DAVE

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on January 24, 2007, 01:06:40 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on January 24, 2007, 12:36:43 AM

Here's the Charger I was intending to pick up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-RED-DODGE-CHARGER-440-GREAT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ270082773917QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have you seen the car in person?  It doesn't photograph very well for a $18-19K car, if you ask me.   I would only value my 68 RT at $20K, but if that one's worth that, mines gotta be worth $30K!   I would pass unless the car is substantially nicer than the photos...
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Supercharged Riot

Im visiting the car this Saturday. The 440 supposedly cam out of a 73' dodge motorhome and the guy blew up the original 383

How much do you think it's worth?

Supercharged Riot

I'm thinkin it's worth more along the lines of $15-17K since it aint original includeing the minor cosmetic flaws on it

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

RT DAVE

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on January 24, 2007, 06:13:25 PM
Im visiting the car this Saturday. The 440 supposedly cam out of a 73' dodge motorhome and the guy blew up the original 383

How much do you think it's worth?

It's real hard to tell without seeing it in person.  From the photos on ebay, I wouldn't pay more than $15K.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT