News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

axle end play after rebuild

Started by HeavyFuel, November 08, 2006, 12:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I just had my 8 3/4 rebuilt, and as I double checked the work done by the shop, I noticed that there was no end play in the axles.  Like...zip...they are tight.

Should I back out the end play adjuster in the right side retainer accordingly, or should I wait for a break-in of something in the rear, and check the end play then?

John_Kunkel

Make sure you're not checking for end play at a tight spot, rotate the axle a quarter turn and try again. Smack both axles with a shot-filled (soft) hammer before checking.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HeavyFuel

Thanks, John. 

I filled the housing with the required 4 pints of 80-90w gear lub and added the posi/limited slip additive.  The axles were then rotated repeatedly to get the lub moved around.  I smacked and checked, no endplay.

The shop manual says that after both axles are smacked to the middle, a measureing device should be attached, and the end play should be set, which they said is about four notches back on the adjuster ring.  I don't have a measuring tool, so I loosened it up about 3 notches.  It feels about the same as it did before I took it in for the rebuild.

Sound good?

69chargeryeehaa

i really think you should get a dial caliper at least, or a dial guage, if i remember correctly, you adjust endplay to 0.010" on the passenger side???  i can't remember, but it is critical. :-\

here's a good write up on the 8 3/4: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/155_0308_mopar_rear_end_gears_set_up/

HeavyFuel

I didn't find anything about axle end play in that article.  The adjustments that I saw that referenced .010" is for the backlash, which from what I understand, is a different matter and is performed before the carrier is attached to the housing.  The axle end play is one of the last things done in the re-assembly of the rearend, after everthing is all back together.

Chryco Psycho

HeavyFuel

Not to get into an argument, just looking for a solution......I didn't think the .010 number was right because the shop manual says .013 to .023 of end play for an 8 3/4 in '68.

Christ, we are talking about thousands of an inch here, is it really that important to get it perfect?  ???  I've looked at these parts really up close, they are not made with a high degree of precision. ;)

Steve P.

And that is partly WHY the wide spec.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

HeavyFuel

Point taken.... ;D

Guess I'm have to come up with a gauge now.  Actually, I think I'll wait until the car is together again, the manual says the gage needs to be hooked up the some brake components, which will not be on the car until much later.