News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

convert 70 charger to 68

Started by clemfor, October 28, 2006, 11:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clemfor

how different are the front fenders can they be modified or must they be changed and will 68 fit ?    front wrap bumper on 1970 once removed will 68 grill fit ? is the hood different ? will 68 dash fit 1970  how about front and rear bumpers ?  tail lights ? 

thanks  clemfor

terrible one

Why not just sell the '70 and buy a '68? It would be easier and cheaper, and there's no reason to pull an identity change on a '70. They are, by the way, the least abundant of the 2nd gens.

Fenders are different, hood is different, '68 grill won't fit with the '70 fenders, tail panel is different, etc.

clemfor

my first car when I was 17 was a 68 charger, long sold it, now I have the chance to grab a 70 for cheap so I want to build a 68, may fav year. the 70 does not have an interior or power train or grill ,  no rust

Spike

clemfor, it would be easier and probably cheaper to flip the 70 once you get it and look for your 68.
Whatever you decide to do could you pass on the info about the 70 http://1970chargerregistry.com/page2.html

Troy

To do it right is a lot of work. Nearly everything except the unibody is slightly different. The entire front clip needs changed out (fenders, hood, valence, bumper, bumper bracket, etc.). The fenders are missing several inches of metal due to the wraparound bumper so modifying them would be a chore. The headlights on a 70 are electric so you'd need to add the vaccuum system for the 68. The doors have a different lock location. The side marker lights are different so the rear quarters would have to be modified. The taillights and tailpanel are different and finding good 68 taillights is entertaining. The rear valence and reverse lights are different. The dash frame itself is probably the same but the bezels and dash pad are different. The front seats, door panels, door pads, and console top plates are different. The roof, glass, top trim, and rear bumper are the same.

I agree that it would be a better idea to start with a 68. If you can get the 70 cheap then sell it for a profit. Some guys are making Daytona clones and they'd be better off starting with a 70 body since they need the fenders, hood, and tail panel any way. Maybe you can work out a trade. Unless you are great at tracking down rare and hard to find parts AND good at body work then you'll easily have double the investment in the car when it's done. If you ever have to sell then a 70 cloned into a 68 would be worth a lot less and it's doubtful that you could recover your investment. I know it's difficult to find a decent 68 project (or finished car sometimes) but the extra time it takes now will save you tons of money later. Ask around, it may not be as hard as you think to find a 68.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69charger2002

actually even the dash frame is different. at least some mounting holes.. i tried putting some 70 dash pads(the hard plastic ones that don't warp).. on my 69 general lee. none of the mounting holes matched up. so technically that will cause you a problem as well unless you use the 70 lower dash pieces
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Troy

I didn't know that Travis, thanks. I thought of some other things too. The ignition on a 70 is on the steering column and in the dash for the 68 so the lower pads and dash frame would have to be different in that case. There's been some discussion in the past about the trim panel around the 70 taillights but I know some cars didn't get it (500 models?). Along those lines, the 68 has unique trim under the taillights that isn't found on the later cars. The trim on the sides of the taillights is unique to 68 also. The 4-speed shifter (if necessary) is a pistol grip in 70 only. In the case of reusing some front end parts, the lights in the front valence, the hood turn signals, and hood latch are all different.

Troy

bull

I want to convert my wife's minivan into a Cobra kit car. Where do I start?

chargerrt

You might need to buy a Fiero first :icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: bull on October 28, 2006, 02:00:04 PM
Sawzall?

Troy

69charger2002

LOL no doubt. minivan's are a perfect sawzall practicing platform
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

MoparManJim

Quote from: Troy on October 28, 2006, 03:22:46 PM
Quote from: bull on October 28, 2006, 02:00:04 PM
Sawzall?

Troy

hey Troy,  :icon_smile_big: I was thinking the same thing also! 

Silver R/T

I would just keep 70, they look just as nice as 68
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chris G.

I agree with everyone here and think that you need to sell the '70 for what you can and get yourself a '68. Much less headaches, and your VIN will always say that it's a true '68.  :yesnod:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Chris G. on October 28, 2006, 08:58:32 PM
I agree with everyone here and think that you need to sell the '70 for what you can and get yourself a '68. Much less headaches, and your VIN will always say that it's a true '68.  :yesnod:
:iagree:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

dkn1997

Since I don't like the front end on the 70, I vote for putting a 68 nose on it.  leave everything else, even the tailights.  The most distinctive feature of the 68 is that wide mouth no BS, open for business grill anyway.  Sure the tailights are cool too, but the others will do.

and you better keep the door scoops.  I love those things
RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 28, 2006, 10:04:33 PM
Quote from: Chris G. on October 28, 2006, 08:58:32 PM
:iagree:
:iagree: :iagree:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

squeakfinder

Might be easier to turn it into to a Dayclona. At least you could keep the fenders and hood that way.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Blakcharger440

I had considered putting a 68 front end on a 70 Charger 500 project that I have, but I already have a good grille,bumper and passenger side fender for it.....If I didnt already have those parts I would consider doing the 68 or 69 front if two reasons existed.

1) I already had a complete 68 or 69 front end
2) I could get a good deal on a 68 or 69 front end.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html