News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74 Charger - Removal of Windshield and Rear Glass

Started by hookem78613, October 27, 2006, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookem78613

I need to remove and replace the front and back glass in my dad's Charger.   Any pointers?  I assume it uses a gasket on the front and I will need to replace that if it's damaged.  Where can I get one?  The back glass is held in by some kind of sealant? 

Anything beside an good exacto the trim tool? 

Hookem
68 Charger R/T - 440 Stoker /727<br
72 Barracuda - 440 / 727
71 Nova

NHCharger

This thread explains how to remove the trim.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19654.0.html

Both windows are held in by the trim. There is a gasket between the window and the channel. I got my new gasket at Autozone. They come in two different thicknesses. Get the thicker one, if you use the smaller one the window might set too low and not even touch the trim. I use to have a thread on how to remove a rear window from a third gen but can't seem to find it :ahum:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RogerDodger

The back glass is installed over a ribbon type sealant. I thought the windshield was too. A friend of mine who works for a glass company took mine out. He used some kind of exacto knife. It was longer than a regular exacto and flexible to get in against the glass. You might be able to use the side off a putty knife. It was all done from inside the car. I don't remember it being alot of trouble.

71charger_fan

Both front and back windows are installed the same. The trim doesn't hold them in. They'll stay just fine with or without it. I just got the thicker 3M window ribbon and set both of mine myself. Just cut both out with a wire and do not try prying on it.

NHCharger

Quote from: RogerDodger on October 28, 2006, 08:22:19 AM
a ribbon type sealant. 

That's the word I was looking for, it was too early to think clearly.
Terry is correct. The ribbon sealant is so sticky it will hold the window in with out the trim, but I wouldn't want to run the car with out the trim for the rear window, just in case.
I couldn't find one of those exacto knifes so I sawed out the back window with some wire. I found that the guy on the inside has to do most of the sawing. When I tried sawing from the outside it put pressure on the window and i was afraid I was going to crack it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

71charger_fan

When you remove the window that's in your car, hold on to the setting blocks. I've purchased three 3M window ribbons and all of them were missing a setting block. I'm not sure if I'm using the proper terminology, the setting blocks, as I've called them, are small hard rubber or plastic blocks that you put at the bottom of the glass to keep it from sliding down.