News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More Painting Progress Pics on Project '69!!

Started by bill440rt, October 24, 2006, 08:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Thought I'd post some more pics of how this '69 Charger is shaping up. Plans include the '70 style "440" callouts on the hood, and the '69 hood stripe treatment, but everything will be done all in PAINT. These pics show the hood painted base/clear in Sublime green. I also dusted the white in the depressions for the decals. While you can't see it in the pics, the white is actually a 3-stage pearl white. The color I picked is actually a Toyota color, the same as my mom's RAV4!!! So, now she has touch-up.  :angel: :D

I based everything out with PPG DBU Sublime, back-taped the depressions & did the white pearl. Then, unmasked & buried everything under one nice coat of clear while double-coating the depressions. Next, I'll wet sand this with 1000 & apply the "440" decals, which will actually be used only for stencil purposes. Then the stripes will be masked off, (Chris, you out there buddy???  :icon_smile_cool:), and basecoated with black. I'll pull off the "440" decals revealing the white pearl underneath, & bury everything under more clear for a graphic with no tape lines. I'll post more pics of this progress as it happens.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

The blackout on the tail panel is also finished. I first used PPG's DP black epoxy primer mixed as a sealer. I "drysprayed" the final coat to give it that organasol texture. I then sprayed it with Plasti-Kote's Semi-Flat black, two light coats. Here are the results.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

THE CHARGER PUNK

69fourspd

Looking forward to see how it turns out.  Looks awesome so far!  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Bill, that thing is going to look stunning with the white pearl call out numbers on it.  Certainly a sweet looking ride so far.  Can't wait to see it at Englishtown.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Thanks ALL!!!  :bow:

I don't know when I'll have it at Englishtown, however. Might be a few more years. I dunno, 3-4 maybe. With a mortgage, home improvements and a 2-year old, progress is slow but sure. It has really come a long way in the past year, I did not expect to get this much done on it.
Further plans call for a black top/stripe, white interior, 4-wheel discs, Hotchkis sways, modern A/C, a 6-pack, & 20" Foose wheels in rear, 19"s in front with modern rubber.
I'll post more pics with this weekend's progress, as long as the wife doesn't kill me first.  :argue:

resq302

Keep the wife happy at all times.  You dont need her to kill you cause then you cant have fun with the cars.  Any progress that you make always makes the car look better.  The progress you have done is certainly an inspiration to us all.  For me, I can't wait to get my differential done and back so I can start puttng my car back together.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger_Fan

Quote from: resq302 on October 25, 2006, 11:45:25 AM
Bill, that thing is going to look stunning with the white pearl call out numbers on it. 
:iagree: Can't wait to see more! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

kevin383

Car's got a lot of pickup. It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Country Cousin

That is a really awsome charger!!!!
I like the color choice. :icon_smile_big:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69 OUR/TEA

It's coming out great Bill,keep up the good work.Very creative!!!! :yesnod: :yesnod: