News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Full VIN Body Stamp Location

Started by bcharger, October 27, 2006, 11:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcharger

Got to love the DMV no matter what state you are in. I am trying to register my 1970 Dodge Charger and am hitting a brick wall (at about 100 miles an hour I might Add). I went to the Oakland DMV to register the car and made it all the way to the VIN Verification around the back. They could not find it and referred me to the CHP. They only do it by appointment. I made an appointment and had it cancelled the morning of by the CHP because thier Officer qualified to Verify the VIN was in the HOspitial. So I call some other CHP offices in the area and they are all backed up for months. Seems to me if you are backed up that far maybe you should have someone doing it full time instead of once a week. Anyway I found 2 places the partial VIN was stamped onto the body. One is on the radiatoor wall and the other is on the driver side trunk lip. I went back to the DMV to tell them I found the VIN and see if they could do it and they said they need the full VIN. They said places they look are the Glove box and Firewall. Can someone provide a picture and elaberate as to whether the car had the full VIN Stamped into it at all. And where might I find mine. Any info woul help considerably ???

Troy

They need a full VIN on the body? Most of the stampings are only partial VINs including the engine and trans I believe. A 70 should also have a door tag. In Ohio they match the title to the VIN tag on the dash and that's about it. Thank goodness your car is not a 68 or they'd have a fit.
I am not an expert on 70s but you may also want to try the 70 Registry site. Here's a link:
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=2985&highlight=vin+stamp

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bcharger

Ya, After doing some research, it turns out that is the way that California does business. I can respect that they are protecting the classic car public by verifying the Vin. However, the CHP is undermanned and ill-equiped to handle the requests for the VIN verification when the door tag is missing. When it takes over 2 months to even get an appointment, which by the way I was only able to talk to 1 VIN Verifyer in the numerous CHP offices I called). I managed to bully an appointment for next Wedbnesday with the San Fran CHP Office. The Officer was less than nice to me, but whatever it takes to get my tags. I learned that the 70 has the partial VIN stamped on the car in numerous places and that's it. Thanks for the reply. Brian  ;D

nakita7

Quote from: Troy on October 27, 2006, 12:15:00 PM
Thank goodness your car is not a 68 or they'd have a fit.

Does a 68 NOT have VIN's stamped on the body???  ???

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Quote from: nakita7 on October 28, 2006, 03:21:29 AM
Quote from: Troy on October 27, 2006, 12:15:00 PM
Thank goodness your car is not a 68 or they'd have a fit.

Does a 68 NOT have VIN's stamped on the body???  ???

In short, no, that didn't begin until 69.  The 68's do have body code stampings that have to match SO numbers and you will need a fender tag or broadcast sheet to verify it.  But not the vin.

BigBlockSam

In short, no, that didn't begin until 69.  The 68's do have body code stampings that have to match SO numbers and you will need a fender tag or broadcast sheet to verify it.  But not the vin. 

intresting
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

And there may be some later 68's that it applies to.  Federal law and vehicle manufacture don't always coincide perfectly.