News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I post here about my daily driver problems? I need help! electrical mystery

Started by WH23G3G, October 22, 2006, 02:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

This is my daily driver, and I'm trying to get it going as soon as possible for work. It's not a Dodge, I'd rather be driving my Charger, but it's not even near time. It would be a lot simpler to diagnose. On my 98 Ranger, it started to act like the battery is dead at random times. Sometimes it wouldn't do anything on the first turn of the key and then the second it would start right up, no problem. So I never thought anything of it. Well when leaving work one night it did that same thing and on the way home it the tranny would slip while slowing down and the Check Engine Light would flash, and also the radio would click when you use the turn signal. So I stopped to check it out well when I got back in, nothing, no lights no noises. So I jumped, it took a jump from a utility truck, the Volkswagen wouldnt get it started. So I thought simple enough, a dead battery. When I took it to the parts store, the alternator checked out fine while running. I shut it off and went to restart for the battery test, nothing. A new battery got me going for about a week and now it did it tonight again. I thought it might be an ignition lock cylinder getting stuck after I got out of the truck and left. Well I took the cover off and noticed the wire with the blue clip on it was broken and not in the lock cylinder anymore. It's the one that is usually for the seat belt buzzer on older cars or the key in ignition chime. I don't know what it controls on this one, I couldn't find it in the Ford repair manual. Well I got a jump and on the way home a good 30mins the radio would click again when I used the turn signal, or the headlights would flash when I used the turn signal. When I got home safely and shut it off, I immediately tried to start it again, and nothing again no lights or chimes. The click the door jamb switch makes under the passenger dash was clicking all the time when the door was wide open, but no lights or anything. What could cause such a drastic loss of power that quick to a fairly new battery in such a short time? The battery had 30mins to charge while I was driving home and yet I couldn't get any lights to operate once I shut it off and turned the ACC back on. Any ideas? 

Brock Samson

this post would get alot more attention in the electrical section...

RD

it sounds more like a short than a battery or alternator issue.  have you checked your bulkhead connector to make sure everything was secure? no burnt wiring?  have you had to replace any fuses recently, if so, which one?  I would do a trace from your Eng elec. box to your bulkhead connector (if it has one) to see if there are any issues, then I would follow to the interior if none were found.

Make sure all your wires are tight to the alternator, voltage regulator, and grounds.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

WH23G3G

I started today by cleaning the battery terminal ends. I dipped them in baking soda solution and they fizzed for a few seconds. Then I poured a little on the battery posts. Then I cleaned the inside of the terminals with a battery cleaning brush. I reconnected them and it started up fine no problems. Last night when it was totally dead and wouldn't do anything, I touched the negative terminal with a screwdriver to see if it would spark and it didn't do anything. I'm thinking it was a bad connection. The previous battery I had, an Everstart must have leaked acid fumes through the posts, because every couple of days the posts would be covered in corrosion. I drove around all day today and went to a salvage yard and cut the wire for the key in ignition buzzer from a Ford Aerostar, spliced it into my Ranger and reinstalled the ignition cylinder with the new buzzer connector. I noticed it now works and it wasn't last night because when I pulled the column cover off it wasn't even on, the plastic that keeps it stuck inside the cylinder was broken. I just changed the oil and started it up, and steam cleaned my seats and let the heater run for about 30 mins idling and there were no problems. I just can't believe it was something as simple as a bad connection at the battery terminals. I still don't believe it to be it. So I'm leaving the battery from my Charger in the back of my truck, in case I can't start it one day this week when I'm coming home from work. I have never had any wiring or battery issues, my original battery lasted 120,000 miles and it wasn't really dead, I just thought I should change it to avoid getting stuck. My alternator has gone out once at about 100,000 miles and I've had this one for about 3 years now.

RD

LOL

i was going to say that, but i thought you didnt have that issue cuz you got a new battery.

glad it worked for you!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander