News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil on the valley pan gasket?

Started by sean68charger, October 30, 2006, 04:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean68charger

i keep getting pools of engine oil on the valley pan gasket (440) but i cant see where it is coming from, it is not leaking from the rockers and i have had the end plates off and resealed them with silicone, any ideas?
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!

Rolling_Thunder

intake manifold bolt letting oil seep by and onto the valley pan.    thats my guess
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

John_Kunkel

Could also be a cracked valley pan if it's old and you're building excessive crankcase pressure.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

Could also be leaking around the intake ports.....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sean68charger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 30, 2006, 06:35:11 PM

Could also be a cracked valley pan if it's old and you're building excessive crankcase pressure.

gasket is about 1 year old and there is no back pressure in the engine

sean68charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 30, 2006, 07:40:37 PM
Could also be leaking around the intake ports.....

Ron

it would then draw oil into the intake and would have blue smoke out back???
no blue smoke

firefighter3931

Quote from: sean68charger on November 01, 2006, 01:38:47 PM

no blue smoke

Usually, that is the case, allthough i've seen oil being pushed out around the intake ports and pooling in the valley pan. This is caused be excessive crankcase pressure. Have you checked the pcv valve and breather ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sean68charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 02, 2006, 09:24:24 AM
Quote from: sean68charger on November 01, 2006, 01:38:47 PM

no blue smoke

Usually, that is the case, allthough i've seen oil being pushed out around the intake ports and pooling in the valley pan. This is caused be excessive crankcase pressure. Have you checked the pcv valve and breather ?

Ron

my engine has no pcv valve - it is constantly under manifold vacuum as there is no air inlet to the crankcase, the engine slows down if i undo the oil filler cap!

firefighter3931

Quote from: sean68charger on November 03, 2006, 06:18:34 PM

my engine has no pcv valve - it is constantly under manifold vacuum as there is no air inlet to the crankcase, the engine slows down if i undo the oil filler cap!

Sean, not having a PCV isn't a problem as long as the crankcase is vented. You must  have a breather on both valvecovers or you will push oil out everywhere.  ;)

Ron