News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got a Burnt Orange Vehicle (Pedal Powered)

Started by Old Moparz, September 27, 2006, 02:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

I decided I don't want to die in front of the computer or TV this winter, so I have to do some exercise. I used to be pretty active with my last job, land surveying, but now I'm in the office 99% of the time. I can feel it when I do have to do something now, I get tired faster. I tried my old Schwinn road bike that I've had since I was 15 years old, but it was not the type of bike suited for where I live now. The roads are more narrow here, & there's lots of sand & gravel at the edge of the pavement. I almost took a spill one day when the skinny tires started to slide sideways on me. The whole idea was to exercise to extend my life, not shorten it.   ::)

The old bike is still in excellent shape, but I now need a mountain bike to handle the terrain. So, off to the department stores to see what's available for a small amount of money. K-Mart had a nice Schwinn for $149, but too small. The biggest they stock is an 18" frame & I need a 22" frame. Wal-Mart had basically the same, but it was all hung from the ceiling & the associates there can't fly. I hate Wal-Mart anyway, so I left. Target had nothing bigger than an 18" as well, so off to Sears I went. Well, nothing there at all. The Sears near me is a smaller store & they used to have bikes. They used to have furniture too, but I guess nobody in my area bought this stuff so it's no more. Good thing they still have tools.

There are only two local bicycle shops, one that carries Trek, & the other carries Raleigh. The Trek entry level bike was $239 & the Raleigh entry level was $249. Entry level means cheap ass bikes, for cheap ass tight wads. :D I liked both, but I was a sucker for the orange color on the Raleigh as well as the fact they are making the Raleigh Chopper again. I had one as a kid & thought it was really cool. The new one isn't as nice as the original, but it still brought back memories. I took it for a test ride & it felt comfortable, so I bought it today & will pick it up after work. I will probably try to get some riding in tonight if I can get home before dark.  ;D

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=11&itemid=335&childid=539

They just call it orange, but it has a very close resemblance to Burnt Orange
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Old Moparz

Here's a couple of pics of the Raleigh Chopper. An original in blue, which is what I had, & the new retro one in black. The retro has a funky seat & a few other changes to it. It did look cheaply made when I saw it in the store. It seems the Schwinn Crate bikes they made again were of much better quality.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

yeah I'm in the market again too,...

i had an Schwin Fastback Stingray in blue....
I loved that bike i never should've traded it for $20.oo & the bag of homegrown,... sigh,.  :-\

Old Moparz

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 27, 2006, 08:27:16 PM

I loved that bike i never should've traded it for $20.oo & the bag of homegrown,... sigh,.  :-\

Damn pot heads.   :D

I knew a friend of a friend, that had won a pair of BOSE speakers in a contest. He kept them until his stash ran dry, & sold them for $50 so he could get some more to smoke. If I had known hewas selling the speakers, I'd have bought them.   ::)

Dave, the Schwinn bikes were always cool. I also think they were probably the best quality for the money back then.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger_Fan

I had one of those in bright orange! It also had the "drag slick" rear tire. :icon_smile_cool:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Orange_Crush

Glad to see you beought it from a local bike shop.  Most people go to a big box store and buy a bikle and then when the bike isn't properly put together (and it NEVER is) or it doesn't fit right, they quit riding. 
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Orange_Crush on September 28, 2006, 02:32:29 PM
Glad to see you beought it from a local bike shop.  Most people go to a big box store and buy a bikle and then when the bike isn't properly put together (and it NEVER is) or it doesn't fit right, they quit riding. 

I knew I'd end up getting it at a local bike shop anyway, but I did want to see what was available. Most shops only carry a slim line of items & usually marked up higher. I'll probably bring it to Carlisle next year to cover more ground.  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Old Moparz

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 28, 2006, 01:59:09 PM

I had one of those in bright orange! It also had the "drag slick" rear tire. :icon_smile_cool:

I always thought the drag slick was cool.   :icon_smile_cool:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

PocketThunder

Is this what you guys are talkin bout?  The fat back tire?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 28, 2006, 03:57:15 PM
Is this what you guys are talkin bout?  The fat back tire?

Yeah, I think the Sting Ray was the one that had a slick on it. Maybe the rear seat with shocks too?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

the orange crate had the slick,. the fastback had a skinny tire...
mine was seriously modded with speedo, generator light, an awooga horn and a huge sissy bar...  with a peace sign...

:icon_smile_wink:

the orange crate...

Lowprofile

.......or the Apple Crate! Gotta love these old Schwinn's! :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL