News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

neons UPDATE PIX

Started by mopar_madman, September 02, 2006, 07:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar_madman

Just wondering if anyone owns any of the 2000 and up models and what you think of them. Just looking for a little econo car for my girlffriend (car got totalled) Couple things I read was the later models were improved from the 1st gen models. any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Silver R/T

they were improved a little bit, but not that much. My cousins friend got 2000 neon and he replaced clutch at 40K miles, ignition wires, and some other parts. Personally I wouldnt recommend one, at least ones that got more miles. Thats when they really start breaking.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Todd Wilson

We bought a new 2000 Neon and it was a great little car.   I really miss that car.   It got totaled when a guy in a pickup ran a light.   Car had good power and visibility. Road really good. Was easy to get in and out of and in the end did its job by protecting in the wreck. I think the car could have been fixed but as you stated its an econo car.  A throw away car when its done.  I know of several Neons with 200000 miles on them. The 2000+ Neons were the new generation and they improved a lot of things both mechanical and comfort wise inside.   No worrys on getting one.

Todd

BigBlockSam

i thought this thread was about neon lights   :D
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

mopar_madman

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 03, 2006, 02:19:56 PM
i thought this thread was about neon lights   :D

LOL If I buy one I'll put neon all over it and post pics (joke)
1973 Dodge Charger
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

sixpack70

The SRT-4 is a pretty quick little car and if I could, I would buy one.  But thats probably not quite what you are looking for. Most SRT-4s probably have been boy racered out and their will probably start puking parts after a few months of owning it. But back on track... The old neons sucked. My friend had one and it had a huge dead spot in the accelerator and I dont think the panels matched up inside or out. The new ones seem to be much higher quality and the used ones go for fairly cheap. At least you won't get lit on fire by the engine like you would in a Focus. I rode in a 2000 focus and it had more rattles and squeaks than my 69 Mach 1. The neon even though the drivetrain sucked it was noise free and didnt have that many mechanical problems.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

greenpigs

For the record I owned a 98 Neon and it was a so-so car. It got okay mpg and was easy getting into and parking but it was also a slug. My power moonroof popped off the track twice and the seal around my deck lid leaked BAD.
   So..stay away from 1999 and down Neons is my point which you didn't ask for but got anyways.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

REDNECK

Quote from: sixpack70 on September 07, 2006, 09:10:48 AM
The SRT-4 is a pretty quick little car
[/quote/]

going fast in a SRT 4 is like going fast in a pop can . it may be fast and cheep but it is not a good idea

andy74

2000 and up are actually pretty good cars,get a 5 speed if you want any pep though,the autos are real slugs :yesnod:

71charger_fan

I had a 2000 ES 5-speed. I ran up over 60k miles on it without any problems. I traded it for an '03 SXT. That too was a trouble free automobile. I put around 24K on that in a year and traded it for an '04 R/T since they weren't going to produce that model any longer. I've got about 50k on the R/T and have a warped brake rotor. All in all, three pretty stout and dependable cars.

adauto

I've kept the wife in Prizm's (Corolla) for abour 15 years Very low maintanence and will easily go 200K And can usually be bought very resonably.   :Twocents:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Todd Wilson

Quote from: andy74 on September 08, 2006, 03:54:41 PM
2000 and up are actually pretty good cars,get a 5 speed if you want any pep though,the autos are real slugs :yesnod:

I beg to differ sir!   Our 2000 Neon  would hand my Honda Prelude 5 speed its ass anytime! The Prelude is a rather zippy car! Our Neon could run in any kind of traffic anytime.

On a side note I was on the Honda Prelude forum a few years back looking for some answers to a problem I was having. After realizing no one on the forum did any real mechanical work on thier Preludes except adding wheels,wings and fart cans on the back I discovered the Neon was at the top of their list for beating.  Everyone on that forum hated Neons. I of course had to express my knowledge since I had both in the driveway!

Todd

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar_madman

we had a prism got totalled, was a good car. here's a pic of the prism.
1973 Dodge Charger
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Brock Samson

my next door neighbore had an early model he'd cuss and swear about that car cause the struts wore out all the time, but sf is really really hard on cars...

MadScientist

Just to add my  :Twocents:,

I had both a 96 Sport Coupe 5 spd SOHC and a 98R/T DOHC 5 spd.  Both were great cars.  I had to sell the R/T to get a bigger car for the family.  The 96 I just gave to my nephew after racking up 160K on it.  The only thing I had to do to the 96 was replace the headgasket (under warranty) and the transmission (diff pin broke) 'cause I thrashed it pretty hard for the first 3 years autocrossing it.  They both got great mileage and really pissed off a lot of ricers out there.  The 96 was a little sleeper as those things go.

Never had a fitment issue or anything else.
:icon_smile_big:
MS

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

70charginglizard

I hate Neons now.

A buddy of mine who has a 68 road runner was leaving a mopar show in Tacoma area recently and some punk in a neon rear ended him HARD and totally screwed up the back end of the runner.

This want a love tap. this was a hard hit. 

Punk!
70charginglizard

MadScientist

Actually, thats why I like the cars.  They have a tendency to find 68-70 b-bodys!

mopar_madman

Well we got one , 2003 neon SXT  73,000 miles in great shape, here's some pix
1973 Dodge Charger
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Silver R/T

congrats, and hope it lasts

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE