News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Long sitting engine is not starting very easy..........

Started by bandit67, September 12, 2006, 07:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

HI Guys, trying to save a 72 that has been sitting in the woods for many years.  It is a 318 with the factory electronic ignition.  I have changed all the fluids, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and carb kit. The motor will fire, and run for a few seconds, and then flood out, and won't fire until all gas has dried out and new plugs installed. I checked the voltage at the coil and read 8.38 when cranking. I wish to put 12 volts straight to the coil while I am trying to get the motor to first fire up. Will this damage some or any of the electronic ignition parts?  Old point type Chevys have a wire from the starter to the coil just for that while the engine is spinning over, think maybe this would help..............any comments.................J

74340charger

okay, can you get a shop vac to the car? try taking off the intake and sucking all the mouse nests out of all passages you can get to. that was what was wrong with mine. but a flat head screw driver and the above mentioned shop vac had it all cleared up in a little bit.