News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tell me a little about my rear end..........8 3/4

Started by runningman, August 28, 2006, 04:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

Here is the rear end that is on my 68 charger.  I have since sandblasted and painted everything.  Going to put the SSBC rear disk kit on next.  Anyways could you guys tell me more about what I have......is it original?  Has a 3.23 sure grip.........I think.  both tires spin when turning one and when you hold one end and have someone spin the other side it still spins......sure grip right?  Anyways thanks for any help..........matt

Plumcrazy

If you can spin one tire while holding the other, it either doesn't have sure grip or its not working.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Shakey

Hey Matt - I had a lot of similar questions back in February.  Looks like we gots the same stuff!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10104.0.html

Here's what I did with my housing:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10552.0.html

runningman

Quote from: Plumcrazy on August 28, 2006, 05:24:21 PM
If you can spin one tire while holding the other, it either doesn't have sure grip or its not working.

while holding one the other won't spin although we didn't go crazy trying to spin it........

runningman

TylerCharger69

well  the 742 case tells me it's a 68....bout it....there's a little tag on one of the bolts that should identify....69  would  be a 489 case

CaptMarvel

The rear on my 68 Charger factory R/T also says 2070742 and has what looks like a big yellow D painted on the back. I've always wondered exactly whats in it. It is a true R/T, but the fender tag is blank on the rear end area. Any other way to tell (other than tearing into it?) ???

Chryco Psycho

the 742 is basically the strongest of the 3 types of carrier
if both tires turn equally you can count the # of turns of the driveshaft for 1 full tire rotation to figure out the gear ratio
if it is an open diff makes sure only 1 tire turns & count the # of driveshaft rotations for 2 complete rotations of 1 tire   

CaptMarvel

Ok, my dumbness coming out again. I do have a "true" factory 68 R/T. The carrier is a a 742 and I think it is a 3.23 ratio (?) What I want to know is, did all factory RTs with the 742 automatically come with the sure grip? It seems like it should be, but I want to know if any true R/T didnt come with it. Mine has the original 440 Magnum. On my fender tag I think it's blank where the rear end is supposed to go....Whats up? anyone ever hear of this?? ???

myk

I've learned that the limited slip differential was an optional component; one of the most hare-brained things I've ever heard in my entire life.  Nothing like laying down 400lbs of torque to one wheel...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

dodge freak

That cause it was and still is easier to fish tail the back end in wet weather. Some folks felt unsafe cause you give it too much gas the back end slides out and you hit the car next to you. Better-they felt-to just spin the wheel. Now remember tires were not so good back then, its not as easy to do with todays tires-if they have good thread on them. Besides do you drive you car in the snow and rain much ? When the cars were new lots of people did. I believe most of the cop cars did not have limited slip either for that reason. Even if the pavement is dry sand can cause the same problem. Same with dirt roads-you are better off on a dirt road not to have a limited slip rear end.