News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock Performer & Performer RPM differences?

Started by NYCMille, August 30, 2006, 06:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Hi guys -

I am currently running an Edelbrock Performer 440 dual plain intake on my 440. I would like to move up to a Performer RPM. Can anyone tell me if there is a height difference in the two?

thanks - Mike

4402tuff4u

Hi Mike, The Performer 440 DP dimensions are A(front)= 3.80" and the B(rear)= 4.80" (A+B/2 = height) = 4.50"

The Performer RPM A= 4.90" and the B= 5.80" = 5.35" heigh, roughly 7/8" height gain.

Mike, did you ever make it to Cedar Beach, Saturday night cruise at the Beach Hut?  Your 68 would of been one of the best there!! later.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

firefighter3931

You will also have to modify the throttle bracket and kickdown linkage with the Performer RPM. Several venders sell Andy F's throttle linkage brackets which are a bolt on deal. Mancini and Magnum HP carry these parts.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

the other difference is one is JUNK the other isn`t [rpm ]

myk

It's probably been asked 1,000,000 times before, but is the performance difference between the 2 'eddy manifolds that noticeable?  If it is, I'll seriously consider ripping my performer off and getting either the RPM or Weiand manifolds...

firefighter3931

Quote from: myk on September 01, 2006, 04:38:23 AM
It's probably been asked 1,000,000 times before, but is the performance difference between the 2 'eddy manifolds that noticeable?  If it is, I'll seriously consider ripping my performer off and getting either the RPM or Weiand manifolds...

Myk, the standard Performer is a small runner design that will increase bottom end torque. Basicly it's an RV intake that will choke the engine off at 4500 rpm. The RPM version increase torque and horsepower.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

myk

Yikes.  Well, I guess I always knew that my Performer was a weak link, but don't relatively stock motors like my 440 make their power well below 4500 RPM anyway?  I don't like the idea of the car being "choked" off at any RPM, so if I take out the Performer which manifold would you guys recommend, the Weiand or the Performer RPM, and did someone here mention something about having to fabricate throttle and kickdown/tranny brackets for either of these manifolds?

whitehatspecial

I put a Performer RPM on a 340 engine that replaced the original 318 in my car. Yeh I know the didn't put 340's in 1968 Chargers, but I'm building this car the way I want and to hell with the originality judging at car shows (been there, done that).
Anyway, I have a Barry Grant Speed Demon 650 on top of the RPM and I was able to use the orig throttle cable. I had to buy a Lokar kickdown cable and throttle cable bracket from FBO.
I have a Moon drop base 3" air cleaner  http://www.mooneyesusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=188_52_61&products_id=570&osCsid=154bffb3c57336dceb3ee0153b76018a and it fits with no hood modification.
Pictures will be coming soon when I get my camera back.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Chryco Psycho

I would look at the Holley Street Dom 300-14
it makes power everywhere & yes you will notice a slight difference between that & the Lack of performer
the best part is the Holley is a low intake & very reasonably priced as well

max

i ran an edelbrock performer on the street (not the rpm) and it was a very poor set on a stock 383 hp. :rotz: i actually went back to the stock cast iron manifold to pick up some of the lost hp.

myk

I knew it.  I could feel the loss in power as soon as I installed the damn thing, but I didn't want to believe it.  Oh well, I'll take a look at the Holley or Weiand intakes-another $200 out of my life...