News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pics of carrier markings for '68

Started by HeavyFuel, September 02, 2006, 05:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Pressure sprayed the rear, prior to disassembly and rebuild.  Just wanted to post a few of the photos of markings, some of which are interesting.

The whole bottom of the carrier is white with three black spots on the white area, and an orange spot off the white.

HeavyFuel

Here is what looks like a "5" with a blue dab of paint.  There is another number in chaulk below the flange in the lighter area, an "89"

HeavyFuel

This shows a "239" on the housing, halfway between the carrier and the brake backing plate

HeavyFuel

Of course, the circled X and the "D", or whatever that yellow marking is supposed to be.

terrible one

I think the D just signifies that it is a '68, and the X is for a suregrip. But I could be wrong. No clue about the rest. I'm sure someone smart will chime in soon.

HeavyFuel

I think I read on another post that this is the assembly date of the diff.  Could be.  Jan 22 marking on this one, and mine rolled off the line on Feb 6, 1968.  Sounds about right.

TylerCharger69

usually....in my experiences...when you see a yellow marking like that...it's a mark made by a wrecking yard...ive only seen white and orange factory markings    correct me if im wrong though

HeavyFuel

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on September 02, 2006, 11:47:23 PM
usually....in my experiences...when you see a yellow marking like that...it's a mark made by a wrecking yard...ive only seen white and orange factory markings    correct me if im wrong though

Which yella marking are you refering too?  That big "D" one?  It's definately not from a wrecking yard, it is a very common marking on Charger diffs.  I just don't recall what it means.

kab69440

Mine had a large yellow "B"covering the rear center of the housing. I've got a Polaroid of it, I'll have to see if I can dig it up and scan it.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."