News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Back fire through carb..

Started by CFMopar, August 31, 2006, 06:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

I'll try it-feels like a long shot, but I'll try it.  Considering that I got the vacuum readings that rapidly fluctuated between 15 and 18" I'm starting to fear that I've got internal problems, unless I'm taking the vacuum readings incorrectly...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

resq302

Quote from: myk on September 07, 2006, 11:23:31 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 02, 2006, 01:26:04 AM
Eddy has a pack of 3 squirters small stock & large
compared to what 14 or so for Holley  ::)

Oh, and one of you guys mentioned vacuum readings and checking to see if they bounced around?  I disconnected the hose going from my intake to the brake booster and attached that hose to a vacuum guage-I got a reading between 15 and 18, with the needle shaking pretty rapidly between those numbers.  Is that normal?  If not, then what is that and how badly am I screwed?  :-\

I too have noticed that with my engine.  On my 70 El Camino, the vacuum gauge holds steady for the most part.  On my charger, the gauge really bounces around but the engine seems to run ok.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

where did you hook the vacuum guage up to ?

resq302

The vacuum port on the back of the intake manifold where the vacuum line that goes from the intake to the power brakes.  Like the above post, I disconnected the vacuum brake line and attached the vacuum gauge to that fitting.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

it is more likely to bounce there than a port on the carb so you may not have any problems

resq302

Ok, my stock carb only has two ports on it.  One for the vacuum advance for the distributor which I think is only a metered vacuum (from what I heard) and the port for the pcv hose.  Which one should I hook it to?
Brian

Chryco Psycho

myk

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 09, 2006, 11:12:59 PM
where did you hook the vacuum guage up to ?

I don't know where Resq hooked up his vacuum guage to, but I disconnected the hose from the intake to the brake booster and hooked it up to my gauge.  Am I supposed to leave the system connected and install a T-fitting for the gauge instead, leaving the intake and the brake booster connected?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

resq302

I think what Chryco is saying is to disconnect the pcv hose and get a reading for vacuum at that port as it should be more steady. 

Where I disconnected my vacuum hose was at the fitting behind the carb and on the top rear section of the intake manifold.  I installed a vacuum hose from my gauge to the fitting on the intake and took the reading there which was bouncing like you had said.  I will recheck it from the PCV port on the carb when I get my car back from the body shop hopefully on Monday.
Brian

myk

PCV port huh?  Well I'll give it a shot!