News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wheels rubbing -- new leafs = only solution?

Started by AWSOM50, August 05, 2006, 06:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSOM50

hi guys, the back wheels on my charger rub the arches when going round corners and over speed bumps, especially with people in the back.

Is the only solution to buy new leaf springs or have my ones reconditioned? or is there something I can fit to extend the travel.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, i really dont know anything about suspension.
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

BrianShaughnessy

The problem is not necessarily your leaf springs but the backspacing on your wheels themselves or just too large a tire for the wheels.

What size wheel and tire combo are you running?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Blown70

What is your budget,  Put some new ones on if you wish.  however I also agree that you have to make sure it is not BS on the wheels.

Are these the wheels you have always run?  Otherwise buy new ones and some U bolts and taaaaadaaaaaaaa problem solved.

Tom

RTPTRON

A couple of years ago I installed American Racing Torque Thrust II 15" X 8" wheels with 275 60s on the rear of my 68 Charger.  I was having the same problem with rub when going over dips, etc.  I installed the Edlebrock IAS shocks and now the only time I get a rub is when I hit a bump at a very high rate of speed.  In fact I don't remember the last time this happened.  This will not change the ride hight of your car and the ride is pretty smooth because of the unique design of these shocks.

If you have a problem with rub when turning you may want to look at rear sway bars as well.

PS: At the same time I installed a pinion snubber that is adjusted right up to the floor of the car.  This may be a factor in fixing the rubbing problem.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

andy74

for a temporary fix i went to auto zone,and got a set of helper springs,they look like half leaves with a curve in the rear ward section-lifetd the back up about an inch and a half,and even fully loaded with a bunch of shit in the trunk no more rub-my wheels ofset is to far out for the 295/50 15s i am running,but they were free,so i cant bitch,and i have new super stock type springs i plan to put in this winter,hope that helps