News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting Center console help.

Started by hewi, August 18, 2006, 06:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewi

G'day all.

Am looking at painting my black center console (69 Charger).

Any tips?
What is the best type/brand of paint to use?
Sandpaper tips? I'm guessing sanding is the best option?

Cheers
Bruce

bull

Quote from: hewi on August 18, 2006, 06:12:17 AM
G'day all.

Am looking at painting my black center console (69 Charger).

Any tips?
What is the best type/brand of paint to use?
Sandpaper tips? I'm guessing sanding is the best option?

Cheers
Bruce

You mean in lieu of the woodgrain decals? I'm a bit confused.

hewi

Hi Bull.

Still want to keep the main woodgrain part.

Looking at painting the already black plastic. Have a few crack etc, so thought i would use epoxy and repaint.
Would you recommend this??

B5 Charger

Use SEM vinyl dye.  They have a product that is called sand free.  You spray it on plastics right before you shoot the color and it helps them bond.  Vinyl dye is much better than just paint because it is flexible.  I can't say enough good things about SEM.  Here is a link to pics of mine.  It was originally green but I needed a black one.  So after fixing the cracks front and rear I shot it with SEM and these are the results.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11831.0.html

hewi

WOW that looks awesome.

What did you use for the cracks?

This might sound dumb but just to get it right - you spray on SEM Vinyl paint then spray it would normal black paint straight after?

What black paint did you use?

Cheers
Bruce

B5 Charger

No, you only use SEM vinyl dye and no paint.  I have to go to work for a 12 hour shift right now I will post a detailed description of my method tomorrow.  I used two part epoxy and steel to make my repairs.  The console was completely broken in half at the front and it had the usual crack at the back.  I had a complete description and posting on the old board but when that went belly-up it was lost forever.

hewi