News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whit size strocker kit

Started by greenrt_se, August 06, 2006, 12:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenrt_se

Hi  folks.I have a (at last) another 440 cu inc block and I gonna start building strocker from it in next winter,but whit size?? I been whatching 440 source site and there is many diffrent size,so what you think,whitch gonna be good for street car,whit aluminium heads

Chryco Psycho

Call me wierd But I belive in rod ratio more than CI , especially if you want longevity from the engine , I would be inclined to use 7.1" rods & stay around 500- 525 ci

andyf

I'm just finishing up a couple of engines that both have 4.250 stroke cranks in them with the Chevy 2.200 rod pins.  I really like that combination.  The 2.200 pin clears the bottom end without hardly any grinding.  Since you use Chevy rods the selection is huge and the price is right.  I'd use either 6.800 long rods or maybe even the longer 7.100 long rods.
The pistons with the 7.100 long rods are still tall enough to be stable and to provide a decent life.  You'll most likely need custom dished pistons to keep the compression ratio down to earth but that will depend on the heads that you use.  Edelbrock heads would make a nice torque monster for street driving.  Some max wedge size Indy EZ heads will give you more horsepower but the low end torque will probably suffer a bit and the installation is a bit more complex.

greenrt_se

thanks ,so the 512cu inc in 440 source will be good

firefighter3931

The size of the cylinder head will determine which stroker kit is the best fit.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

With the range available for either side of that equation, you can buy the head first or get the stroker kit first and then choose the head.

greenrt_se

thanks,I been thinking ported edelbrock 84cc,or a new wedge aluminium head

Mike DC

Here's my two cents on stroker motors.  Just personal opinions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--  I kinda disagree on the rod-ratio thing.  I agree that it's important overall, but IMHO the 440 had a great rod ratio to start with.  And a 5000-rpm street motor isn't gonna reap the benefits of good ratios as much as a maxed-out race motor.

--  Get whatever size you wanna get with the crank.  Stock blocks sould be overbored as little as possible.  Lots of new aftermarket blocks may really show some benefit from overboring, but old stock street blocks usually aren't stiff enough in the cylinder walls to make it worth it.

--  It's not worth compromising something else major on the engine (quality of rods, etc.) just to get a few more inches.  Going from 440 ci to 500 ci is a major difference, but adding or subtracting another 15 inches isn't gonna be such a big deal.  Take the extra inches if it works with the plan, but don't cut corners on something else just to add a little bit more.