News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who makes a rack and pinon setup for stock K-member?

Started by professor-patrick, July 08, 2006, 08:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor-patrick

Does anybody make a power rack and pinion conversion for the 69 charger with a stock k-member?  I know Unisteer is going to have one soon, but they keep saying 2-3 more weeks.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

andyf

I got one of the first Unisteer setups shipped last Fall.  It is a bolt on to the K frame but you have to modify the steering column and you might not be able to use headers with it.

is_it_EVER_done?

andyf Have you checked that Unisteer for bump steer issues? If so, how did it do. I would love to see someone put out a conversion that addresses the problem and hope you can shed some light on how theirs performs.

resq302

Andy, was Unisteer the guy that had the display at Carlisle this past weekend?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

andyf

I didn't check for bumpsteer although from the looks of things it should be fine.  The rack pivots were in the correct location and were the correct length to eliminate bumpsteer so it should have a fighting chance at being okay.

I wasn't at Carlise so I don't know if Unisteer was there or not.

I never did mount the system.  I looked it over and sent it back.  It was a free setup sent to me for a product review for a magazine article but even free was too expensive for me since I would've spent a ton of time installing it and making the necessary modifications.  So I shot some pictures and shipped it back to Unisteer.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it or recommend it for a certain type of project so don't take my comments as negative.  I just didn't have the time to work on that involved of a project on a deadline.

Steve P.

But, the unisteer unit mounts in the same position as would be your drag link, right??   I have to find their site...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

kamkuda

Here is a pic from Carlisle fo rthe Unisteer unit

kamkuda

kab69440

Why the P/S pump? Is a stock pump not up to the task of actuating a rack and pinion system?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."